Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amp/sub help

bmorebuick88
05-11-2008, 05:25 AM
GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");i recently purchased a thouand watt amp off of ebay, and found a subwoofer box with two 12 inch kickers that work at a junk yard for 40 dollars. now i want to install the amp and sub, and i dont know how to do it:runaround:

most people say its pretty easy, but keep in mind i know nothing about wires, and am a rookie when it comes to car problems(the most i can do is change the oil,and change a tire lol)

any suggestions on which wires to buy, where to get them from, and costs.

i was told that i need some speaker wire, a power cable,ground cable, and that would be all. but i still dont know what and where to purchase completely.

i saw a power cord at wal-mart for 30 dollars, and i didnt know if that was a good price or what.

help is appreciated. and sorry if this isnt in the right spot.

PaulD
05-11-2008, 08:46 AM
there is a section in the newbie thread that covers what wires go where.

Galuple
05-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Check out this diagram:

http://www.caraudiobook.com/images/how_to_install_a_car_amp.gif

Thats your basic wiring install. You need some real power wire, not a power cable from Walmart or wherever, an actual set of wire thats designed for car audio use. Walmart should have them in the automotive section, or bestbuy or circuit city or whoever. Most of the time you can find a premade "amp kit" which comes with all you'll need. You run the power wire from the battery to a fuse, and then to your amp, then you run a ground wire from your amp to a grounded point in your trunk or wherever. Next run signal cables from the headunit to the amp, a remote turn on wire, and finally speaker wire for the subs.

For a wiring kit you're looking at something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8286883&type=product&id=1172276905085

http://www.caraudiobook.com/ has some good basic info that you will need.

bmorebuick88
05-13-2008, 06:13 PM
thanks for the help, i had it installed right by someone who knew what they were doing, but the amp started smoking really bad, so now i have to send it back to get a new one.

and thanks galupe, i wanted to rep ya, but i guess this forum doesnt have that feature.

pre98zetec
05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
if the amp started smoking I'd say that person that knows what they're doing, doesn't know what they doing...

Galuple
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
just out of curiousity, what kind of amp did you get off ebay?

bmorebuick88
05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
i purchased a thousand watt lanzar amp off of ebay galuple.and now that i went back to the site, i found out that most of them are factory refurbished.

everything was ok for twenty five minutes, then i turned my car off and went into the house, then i came out to go to work and i noticed the bass knob in my car wasnt turned on, so i checked out the amp and found that the ground wire wasnt functioning, so i ground it to something better and it still didnt work. so after my friend used a voltmeter to check everything i was still confused. then we checked the fuse(20) on the amp and it had popped so i put a new one fuse(30) in and it started smoking really bad, but the fuse(30) hadnt popped) so i took another fuse(20) out of my car and put it in the amp and the same thing happened again.

any suggestions.
im so mad because the amp was working fine, it even knocked my rearview mirror loose

PaulD
05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think a 20 amp fuse can produce 1000 watts of output

pre98zetec
05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
ditto, maybe 100rms? that sounds about right

PaulD
05-15-2008, 07:02 PM
yea, maybe 100-150 watts RMS/ch for class A/B ..... maybe 400-500 class D (pushing it) because they are far more efficient, especially at full power.

Add your comment to this topic!