Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Grand Am Hard to Steer

mlhill64
05-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I changed the power steering pump and I now have an intermittent problem of the steering becoming very hard at slow speeds. Is the problem the power steering pump or is there another problem?

emt1134
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Is there enough fluid in the system ? Did you bleed the system ?

mlhill64
05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Yes, the fluid level is good and I did bleed the system and there are no air bubbles in the fluid. The car steers smooth most of the time. It just gets hard to steer when you slow down.

xeroinfinity
05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Welcome to AF mlhill64.

Did you flush your steering system as recomended by the replacement pump?

If you did not clean the system good then you could have dirty fluid clogging the pump valve.

It is also recomended to replace the hoses when a pump or rack is replaced, and install a power steering filter.

mlhill64
05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I did not flush the system or replace anything else.
I will go ahead and flush the system and replace the items that you mentioned and see if that works.
Thanks!

xeroinfinity
05-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I hate promotting products but I use seafoam trans treatment to clean steering systems.

I usualy flush with just fluid the first time or two, then add the seafoam cleaner. After that I flush a couple more times with just fluid untill it runs clear, the color of the power steering fluid.

Thier is a small procedure in the Tips and Maintenance (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2148)section, might help you out.

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!