Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door Ajar Light Wont Go Off

MYTBIRD50HO
05-08-2008, 02:29 PM
03 XLT interior lights stay on and door ajar light is on. any info please

way2old
05-08-2008, 06:25 PM
One of the door latch switches is hanging. They are inside the door on the latch itself. Liberally spray lubricating oil in the door latch and open and close ths roor a few times. Spray each door until the lights go out. This is a tempory fix, but it allows you to isolate the switch. Usually the drivers door because it gets the most use.

CVFD1308
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
My explorer does the same thing, only when its raining, and usually lasts for a couple hours before it will go out. It is the drivers door, and the cause was found to be the switch inside the latch has gone bad. Got a new one on the way, but not exactly a walk in the park to change. This is a VERY common problem for explorers, almost (from what ive heard) as common as the liftgate cracking. Not sure if there is a recall tho.... :shakehead

simreal
10-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm having the same problem. 2002 Explorer. Door Ajar warning active.

Sprayed copious amounts of WD40 on the latch mechanisms but no joy. Door Ajar still active.

Any other suggestions? Any other way to identify which door is the problem door?

way2old
10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
The only to identify the bad door is to have the system scanned with a high end (and I mean high end) scan tool. This way they can check each switch to see which one is reading open when the door is shut. Usually have to go to a really good shop or the dealer. Or if you are close to my house, I acan read it for you.

Airjer_
10-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Make sure you are spraying the lubricant down rather than into the latch. The switch under the latch mechanism so if your spraying in or up it may not help. Typically you will sray right under the plastic piece that flips up to grab the stricker thats mounted on the vehicle.

simreal
10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm in Omaha Nebraska.

I tried spraying it but it didn't seem to help.

shorod
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Did you also spray the rear tailgate and window latches? Those are the ones that give me the most grief on my Mountaineer.

-Rod

simreal
10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
I did spray the tailgate latch. I didn't spray the Rear window latch. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

If I spent $100 on one of the diagnostic devices would it tell me which door it's referencing?

I also notice my ABS and AIRBAG and CEL lights are starying lit.

shorod
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Nope, the commercial scan tools will only read the powertrain codes, which does not include access to the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) for the door latches, ABS, airbag, transmission, body control computers, door modules, etc. Also, many of the consumer grade scan tools will not allow access to the manufacturer-specific codes, the P1xyz series codes. Certainly not for $100 new price.

To get a scan tool that will access all of these systems, you'll be in for about $1500 (entry level) off of eBay. I have an OTC Genisys which can access all of the systems and is pretty universal and pretty straight forward to operate, but updates are expensive.

-Rod

way2old
10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I use the Ford PDS. Wish it worked on other makes and models. Sorry, simreal. I am in Kentucky. Long drive for a door switch. As Rod said, the entry level tools are only good to read codes and generic pids from the PCM.

Add your comment to this topic!