Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Front drive shaft

maximumquake
05-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I recently purchased a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited at a pretty good price. The kbb value on the car in its worst condtition is 3900. I got it for 800, with it having 123,000 miles. The car did need a little work though. When I first got it, at 45 or faster it would vibrate really bad; and it would "float like a boat" when driving down the road. I had to replace the two front sway bar links, the steering stabalizer, the muffler, and get a wheel alignment. It also had a low idle miss, I took it over to a mechanic and got a tune up(new cap,rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, throttle body cleaned, fuel pump, and tail pipe); the only problem was one of the wires was half way off one of the spark plugs. When i bought the car the front drive shaft was missing; the steering wheel doesnt lock when you shut the key off; and park barely works(it goes into park but if it is on a step hill it will slowly creep down), so you have to always use the e-brake when you park. I am guessing this is because it was repoed at some point in time; since the car is quadratrac(all time 4 wheel drive), I am guessing they would have to take the front drive shaft out to toe it. But what I am wondering is since I cant put it into two wheel, is it ok to drive the car without a front drive shaft; if its in 4-wheel all the time? Could this damage the transfer case over time, since it is trying to send power to the front wheels, but it can only send power to the rear wheels. It does also seem sometimes when accelerating, it hesitates to get up speed for a second; eventhough the motor doesnt. Another question I have not been driving the car hard at all because of gas; I have only been getting 12.5 miles to the gallon shouldnt i get better gas than that? I did just get the tune up today, so I should be getting better gas; but if I dont drive the Jeep hard what kind of average gas mileage should I expect? Any help would be appreciated.

MagicRat
05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
is it ok to drive the car without a front drive shaft; if its in 4-wheel all the time? Could this damage the transfer case over time, since it is trying to send power to the front wheels, but it can only send power to the rear wheels. It does also seem sometimes when accelerating, it hesitates to get up speed for a second; eventhough the motor doesnt. Another question I have not been driving the car hard at all because of gas; I have only been getting 12.5 miles to the gallon shouldnt i get better gas than that? I.
Do not drive this Jeep until you replace the missing driveshaft
You are absolutely correct in that you will damage the Quadratrac transfer case.
The case has a limited-slip differential in the case. Like any diff, it needs both output shafts to have resistance or 'traction' in order to prevent damage. Normally, the torque split is 50/50 to the front and rear shafts.

In this case, the missing front shaft means the limited slip mechanism (it's actually a fluid coupling) is slipping all the time. By design, it must slip in order to send 100% of the torque to the rear shaft.

An occasional slip is fine, such as when the front wheels have much less traction than the rears. However, too much slippage (like the kind of driving you are doing) may build-up too much heat in the coupling and damage it.

A repair on the coupling is EXPENSIVE and is best avoided.

The constant slippage of this coupling would also explain the curious performance you have been getting and will, at least in part, explain the poor fuel economy you have experienced.

Do you know why the front shaft was removed by the previous owner?

BTW IMO you got a good deal on the truck, but obviously expect some of the $3100 you saved to go towards repairs.

Bobbywolf
05-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Might consider moving this to the grand forum. Likely many more responses will be gotten there.

MagicRat
05-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Moved to GC forum

fredjacksonsan
05-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Agreed that what you saved in purchase price you'll probably spend in getting the vehicle up to standards.

Quick note: there have been posts where the full time system's viscous coupler (do a search) has gone bad, and the front drive shaft removed and the vehicle driven, without any bad results....while this resolved the viscous coupler issue it left the vehicle 2wd.

Once you've done the search for viscous coupler and done some reading, you'll see that the options you have are to have the coupler replaced, or change transfer cases to the part time system. Both are discussed in different threads.

MPG....I think the Limited in '95 had the 5.2 V8, right? If so, you're getting average mileage in the city. It should increase on the highway. The tune up should help in that regard.

If you've got the 4.0 6 cylinder though, that's a little low and I'd check the O2 sensors. (Numerous threads on this also)

maximumquake
05-10-2008, 11:08 PM
No I do not know why the drive shaft was removed. But another thing I said about the hesistation that is due to when it shifts in to third it builds up to much rpms before it shifts. Like the shift points on the tranmission are a little off. It is weird if I am going really slow, it will shift into third at about 1500 rpms at around 28 mph or maybe a little sooner. But even if I take of slow probably like 1/8th a throttle or less, it does not shift into third gear till about 35 at about 2200 rpms( Yet it shifted into second at around 1400 rpms). If I accelerate fast around 1/4 thorttle or more, it shifts fine into third. But as I said if I take of slow it will build up to many rpms before It shift. But if I take of extremely slow(Barely toucing the throttle, it will shift fine) I had a certified mechanic look at it and he said the transmission if fine, and it is full with transmission fluid. Would this be due to the missing front drive shaft, or can the transmission points be adjusted on the computer. As far as the hesitation goes, it just feels like all the power is going to the rear wheels; it doesn seem the have the throttle response that it should have.

maximumquake
05-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Another thing about the gas mileage. When I got the car it said an average of 14.3. But I am not sure how many miles had been driven on that specific average gas mileage when I first got it I think it was a couple thousand. Then I reset it and the best I got was 12.5, and I do not drive this Jeep hard at all; I cant see how the previous owner could have driven it any slower; gas is to expensive these days. I got the tune up and it has been a couple days not it is at 12.2. Most of my miles are highway very few of them are city. Does anyone have any suggestion to improve gas mileage. Also how would I tell if the coupler is bad, I do plan on getting a drive shaft first thing next week.

fredjacksonsan
05-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Another thing about the gas mileage. When I got the car it said an average of 14.3. But I am not sure how many miles had been driven on that specific average gas mileage when I first got it I think it was a couple thousand. Then I reset it and the best I got was 12.5, and I do not drive this Jeep hard at all; I cant see how the previous owner could have driven it any slower; gas is to expensive these days. I got the tune up and it has been a couple days not it is at 12.2. Most of my miles are highway very few of them are city. Does anyone have any suggestion to improve gas mileage. Also how would I tell if the coupler is bad, I do plan on getting a drive shaft first thing next week.

What engine do you have?

To tell if the coupler is bad, simply drive it in a parking lot in a tight figure 8. The vehicle will lurch, and the system will try to bind if the viscous coupler is bad.

Per my previous post, do a search under viscous coupler and there is a wealth of information to read.

maximumquake
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
I have the v8 5.2 liter. I guess the coupler is bad. I noticed since I have had the car, when I make tight turns it skips(lurches) like it does in other trucks when they are in 4 wheel drive. Maybe the coupler went bad and thats why the previous owner took it out. I guess I am stuck with 2 wheel drive for now but it will do.

fredjacksonsan
05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I have the v8 5.2 liter. I guess the coupler is bad. I noticed since I have had the car, when I make tight turns it skips(lurches) like it does in other trucks when they are in 4 wheel drive. Maybe the coupler went bad and thats why the previous owner took it out. I guess I am stuck with 2 wheel drive for now but it will do.

New coupler + driveshaft and you'll be ready for winter.

Add your comment to this topic!