New pads and rotors - hot smell

hufhouse
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I just replaced the pads and rotors on our 2000 Montana. I took it for a spin around the block, and I got a little bit of smoke and a hot smell off the passenger side.

I remember getting just a little bit of high temp grease on the rotor.

I jacked up the van, put it in neutral, and there was resistance when I spun the tire. It spun, but it wasn't easy to spin.

Is this normal? Will it go away on its own?

merc81
05-07-2008, 04:07 PM
How long since you replaced the brake hose from the caliper to the frame? There is no force to back the pad off the rotor after you apply the brakes; the pedal pressure can force brake fluid thru the lines and apply the braking force no problem, but if that hose is worn, it will start to bulge on the inside and brake fluid will be trapped. The pads won't back off normally and will heat up and wear prematurely. Look over those hoses carefully.

Nitro23
05-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Probably a stuck caliper.

I just went through this about 3 weeks after changing out pads and rotors.

If the rim on your vehicle is getting hot the caliper is sticking. Also, the rotor will turn blue from the heat.

Could be the hose as stated earlier.

More than likely it's the caliper if the hose looks okay. The hoses rot on the inside so itt's hard to tell.

I bought both from AZ and decided to only do the Caliper once I got into the job. Figured if I had a problem after R/R of the Caliper it had to be the hose.
A reman. Caliper fixed mine.

Also, too much heat is bad for the wheel bearing. So don't drive it much if it is overheating.

hufhouse
05-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Actually, I think it was just high-temp grease burning off where it wasn't supposed to be. Everything seems fine now. I didn't realize how hot brakes get during normal driving.

Will Help
05-16-2008, 08:20 AM
You need to clean new rotors off with brake cleaner before assembly ( they come with a light coating of oil to keep them from rusting in storage ) and just for good measure when replaceing the pads. alcohol will work also.

Add your comment to this topic!