Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's the real MPG???

spike88
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM

My wife & I are still doing our "number crunching" to determine if a '08 Uplander with 3.9L engine, 7 seats and 3,500 lbs of towing power is within our affordability. With rising gas prices, trading in our 2001 AWD Safari van looks better and better every day. Especially since gas in my woods is currently at 1.27L (or 1.27 x 3.5 = $4.45 US gallon). And, many are saying in the near future, normal unlead gasoline will be going up to 1.50/1.60 per liter (in my woods). Ya. And many thought the US folks had it bad.

If wondering, I have 3 kids and sometimes pull a utility trailer. Especially our 6x10 utility trailer with its own onboard brakes. Or, our smaller 4x6 utility trailer - when we travel on vacation. Due to lack of pulling power, anything smaller then a "low cost" mini-van is off our list.

Long post short... what's the `real` city, hiway and combined MPG an '07 or '08 Uplander with 3.9L engine will get?

thanks.

umina
05-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I have an 06 Buick Terraza CXL with the 3.5, and we get 21-22 regularly in town, and on a 1800 mile round trip averaged 26mpg at 75 with lots of hills. Granted i've got the smaller motor, but i understand the 3.9 sacrifices 1 maybe 2 mpg.

I bought the van used with 36k miles on it for 16k and it has every option (heated seats, XM, 6disk changer, air ride suspension, dual power doors, leather, etc...) You might want to consider one used as they depreciate very fast during the first year of ownership. Plus if you are going to be towing, look for one with the air ride load leveling suspension (i'm pretty sure it was discontinued in 07) as it really helps with a trailer. Just my .02

Add your comment to this topic!