Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 impala plastic hubcaps peeling

sirdeeker
05-06-2008, 06:12 AM
All the hubcaps on my 2002 impala are peeling. What causes this problem?

Has anyone had success with repainting them? If so, what kind of paint?

Colt Hero
05-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I've got an '02 Impala (105k) and my hubcaps still look fine (I think ... maybe they have some slight blemishes). A couple of days ago I saw a 2000 Impala with over 200k miles on it with horrible-looking hubcaps that were peeling terribly. Had never seen hubcaps that looked that bad before.

I don't see why you couldn't paint them - it's just plastic. That's what I'd do (first). I'd probably try to get the loose flakes off with a chemical first - because sanding the plastic might scratch it too much. But if sanding is necessary, I'd use as fine a grit as I could fine - like a a very fine emory cloth - 200+ grit (or finer if you can find it). Then I'd wash the hubcap to make sure it's dust-free before painting it. As far as the color, I think it's more of a flat gray/silver (as opposed to a gloss or semi-gloss). Maybe you could buy the factory paint at the dealer if it's not too expensive. I did this years ago to touch up rust spots on the body of a car I owned. I bought a quart using the color code on the fender/firewall, plus some "reducer", and a small glass bottle which was threaded to a can of compressed air with a spraycan-like tip. I think the reducer was used to thin out the paint and this mixture was then poured into the glass bottle. I sprayed it on just like it came out of an off-the-shelf can of spray paint. Worked very well...

57chevyragtop
05-10-2008, 06:02 AM
First thing is I am not sure which hub you talking about...small wheel bolt cover on 21 spoke rim or the full fat spoke cover? Either way though the system (Preval Spray Gun) spoken of by colt hero above is a good way to go. Most auto paint/parts supply stores carry them and you should be able to get color mix there but it is very expensive 20 per 1/2 pint and some reducer. Do not use a chemical on the plastic, start with 360 grit for a smooth finish and go finer if you like to 600 grit....you'll need a flexible Primer. Or you can go get the spray at the dealer which would be less expensive way to go. Just depends on what you personally want to do. I would probably go the cheaper route on the hub cap.

blksuperman409
05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
dude..... just by u some more duhh lol................. thank u have a great day.:smile:

sirdeeker
05-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Blksuperman409 - Dude - If the original wheels peeled, chances are new ones will too. It's better to do it right than just feed the OEMs who don't seem to care about the end product once it's sold.

RacerE7773
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
The same thing happened on my '03 about 20,000 miles ago (has 70,000 on him now). I was looking through Kmart, Target, AZ, AAP, Pep Boys, Wmart, Murray's/O'Reilly for a non ghetto looking wheel cover set, but the ones that looked ok (only ok) were 14 inch like on a car I used to have or 15 or 13 in. I searched sites but nothing was different than the stores have. I tried ebay for police style center caps, and lost on a buy it now set, and got outbid by $1 for the second set I tried for ($52.01 they went for). I checked a boneyard and they suggested a local body place, and wonderfully they had all 4 for cheaper than the others would have been with shipping added.:) I paid/charged a total of $53.13 for all four and may put them on tomorrow.:naughty:

So check the junkyards and body shops for replacement wheel covers. About 20 years ago I had a car with rally wheels on it but kept losing the centers and went with aftermarket covers. If it's possible, maybe there is a Ford or Chrysler 16 inch set available at junkyard that you could paint so the logos aren't as noticeable. I was going to do that with some older Taurus covers for the impala, but they were 15 inch. good luck and let us know what you find.

57chevyragtop
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
RacerE7773,

Hi Newby! Wow I posted that over a year ago. that's ok though, I've answered old posts as well. Not really too concerned with the looks anymore so much. Most important to me now is keeping the 02 runnin like new@ 87k. I think everybody on here at one time posted me about the intake leak on the 3400 eng. I wonder how many got that fixed and didn't need the fix. But you do have to keep that radiaitor cleaned out and switch to the green as I am getting ready to do for winter.....been flushing all summer about 5 times now. Get the last of it with fresh water today...need antifreez next week then I am ready for Rocktober.....and the harvest moon. I've had my share of problems and even fixed things the weren't wrong Alternator and one wheel bearing...turned out to be nothing on the alt...and original tires were frozen out of round on the rim on the bearing....Argh! hate throwing money at nothing....but we all do it. I haven't posted for a long time here, thanks for the heads up though....Dave K..."Old Guys Rock" Courtesy of Phil Dirt & the Dozers!! If you are a veteran visit a VA Hospital or clinic near you and if in Dayton look me up...

Add your comment to this topic!