Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

building first drag car

3GRacing
05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
hey yall. i'm building my first ever drag race car and i'm just looking for some advice. the car is a 73 chevy vega. My dad has had it for 17 or the 19 years of my life and finally decided he didnt want to mess with it so he gave it to me :tongue:. the car has already has a positraction rear end in it from a 2nd gen f-body. (don't know exactly what year. this is just what my dad told me) a saginaw 4 speed trans (which i'll be taking out and putting in a turbo 350 trans we got laying around) and the guy my dad bought it from had already put a 305 in it so its got all the v8 motor mounts. and i've got a chevy 350 that a guy i know is giving to me (not sure what shape the engine is in though).

i mainly would like some suggestions on who makes the best racing transmission overhaul kits, and what should i be looking to do as far as the suspension goes. oh yeah and i got three friends who are helping me build and pay for all this and i got my dad and his friend who have both been mechanics for a long time helping me build also. any help is appreciated.

seeeya

MrPbody
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Just to be sure, you DO mean a car that will NOT see street use, when you say "drag car", right? If it WILL see the street, it's a street car, not a drag car. A drag car "lives" on a trailer and gets pulled back and forth to the track. This is a very important point when planning the build.

If the Vega is still a "Vega" under the sheet metal, you've got your work cut out for you (pun intended).

Jeg's High Performance has a good line of inexpensive frame, cage and suspension pieces. When properly installed, those parts are certifyable by most sanctioning bodies. Southside Engineering is another. You'll definitely need a professional welder somewhere in the process.

If you're going to build the trans yourse\lf (or oneof your help), B&M makes great "kits" for TH350. But don't cut any corners with a TH350. It WILL coe back to bite you.

That's a start, anyway. Let us know which direction you're going to take it.

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!