Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Interior lights don't go out

1Bradymichael
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
My dad's 97 has interior lights that decided to not shut off today, so for now I pulled the fuse. Is there some kind of relay that goes bad when this happens? I have never had this on a car before and was curious if this was a simple fix or a big deal.
Thanks

emt1134
05-10-2008, 12:04 AM
most likely a bad door pin switch.. just have to narrow it down as to which door is causing the problem

Blue Bowtie
05-10-2008, 08:07 AM
You might also want to check the instrument panel dimmer control, and the delayed exit light control module. '94 &95 models had an interior lamp relay as well, and I'm not sure if a '97 is the same in that regard.

1Bradymichael
05-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys,
How big a deal is this pin switch to replace?
And can anyone tell me where the other items are located?

Mickey#1
05-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Send me a private message with an email address & I'll send you a wiring diagram.

BNaylor
05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure if a '97 is the same in that regard.

Shouldn't the Body Control Module (BCM) be in that circuit?

Mickey#1
05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
It does have the body control module.

Here's the way I think it works.
Each door has a latch switch that tells the module if the door is fully closed. If the car has the door ajar warnings then you can tell right away if those switches are working. The front doors have switches on the handles that tell the module the door is being opened. The BCM has a diagnostic mode that that will bong when the handles are pulled & bong again when released.

If all the door switches are working properly than you can eliminate the RFA module by unplugging it from the BCM. If the lights turn off the RFA module is bad. If the lights stay on then the BCM is bad. Again, that's the way I think it works.

Add your comment to this topic!