Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Matching Original Pinstripe

Fotheringay-Phipps
05-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I have a 2000 Ford Econoline, with a pinstripe between the white upper part and the gray lower portion. I had to replace the front right fender recently, and replaced it with a used one from a van that was completely white. I painted the lower portion of the fender gray without a problem. But I now have a 4 inch (or so) section of the van that has no pinstripe. So I need a 4 inch piece of pinstripe that matches what I have on the rest of the van.

I spoke to a Ford dealer who said the pinstripe was only available as part of the complete set, which cost $80. That's a lot to pay for someone who only needs about 4 inches.

My question is: are such pinstripes available as after-market items, and if they are, who sells them?

I've seen a lot of websites of companies selling pinstripes, but these are for people who want to details their cars and aren't looking to match anything in particular - I haven't seen anything for people who want to match the original stripe for a small part.

I think such a thing must exist, because at one point I got an estimate from a body shop for a repair job and they included "replace pinstripe" as a $10-$15 dollar item, so they must have been getting the pinstripe from somewhere other than the dealer. But not having used this repair shop, I can't go back to them and ask where they get the pinstripe from so that I can do it myself and cut them out of the job.

Add your comment to this topic!