95 Lumina dash lights

dirttracker66
05-03-2008, 06:48 AM
:banghead: Hi guys hoping someone can offer up some pointers. I'm working on a 95 Lumina that when you turn on the headlight switch the only lights that come on in the interior is the radio. No dash, HVAC,power window buttons or headlight switch lights. When you first start to turn the headlight switch on you get a quick glimpse of dash lights but only for a second. Tried another headlight switch from the junkyard and the same thing.Exterior lights work fine and the dome light comes on if you roll up the dimmer wheel on the headlight switch. Checked all the fuses. I'm stumped.Thanks for any input.

Blue Bowtie
05-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Do any of the warning lights and indicators (like turn signal indicator) on the instrument panel operate?

dirttracker66
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Sorry for the slow reply! Yes turn signal indicators light-up and all the warning lights come on with the key in the forward position.

sunster
05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
It sounds similar to a problem I had with my '96 Lumina where I had not dashboard lights. My problem was located in the badly designed fuse box that was located over the front driver side wheel well. The fuse box bottom is exposed allowing the wires to corrode. Locate the dash fuse and ensure that power is going through the fuse. I found that there was no power getting to the fuse so I bypassed the fuse bloack and added my own fuse inline.

See below thread and specifically the last entry:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163432&referrerid=393203

Hope this helps.

cadgear
05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Also keep in mind that the headlight switch is a known problem with 95-01 Luminas, so swapping one from a salvage yard (where it sits in the elements for who knows how long) isn't guaranteed to work. Provided the lights actually work, as you say you can see a glimpse of it, I'd still put my money on the headlight switch. The radio works because it's basically always on; the headlight switch actually applies a small resistance to signal the radio to illuminate, and the dimmer takes over from there for intensity signaling. The rest of the lights get power from the headlight switch itself, therefore one set of contacts might be fine while another set is toast.

dirttracker66
05-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll check the fuse box first and if everythings good I'll just order a new headlamp switch.

Add your comment to this topic!