Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1982 GL Station wagon-2wd

I-HATE-CHEVY
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Hello All,

I have been a member on this site for awhile now, it always seems to answer my questions, so my hats off to AF.

Ok, So I am considering purchasing a 1982 GL Wagon. It is 2wd with the 1.8 I think, and an automatic to boot (yuck!). The car has 159,000 miles on it, it is in very good condition both mechanically and cosmetically. The man that owned it previously took very good care of it, oil changes, tue-ups, etc..., typical old man and old lady that owned the thing since it was almost new still.

I have never owned a Subaru previously, but have heard that they are good cars. I opened the hood of this car, it is immaculant underneath there. It did not look like it came from a dealer (shiny and all), but just very well taken care of. The car is very gutless as any automatic would be with that small of an engine, runs a little rich, but ultimately runs very well. There is a couple of spots that have cancer on the rocker panels, but nothing too major, especially for it's age. the engine sounds great, but I can hear what appears to be valves tapping, not sure if this is normal for a Subaru or not. It's not loud or anything, just present when you lift the hood. Reminds me a lot of an air cooled vw bug which I have owned many of them.

I am wondering what types of problems that I may run into, seeing's it's age and mileage (which is very low for it's year). Any tips would be helpful as I am looking to buy this vehicle.

Incidentally, the gentlemen only wants $600 for it, I think it's well worth it.

Thanks in advance.

John

somick
05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
This is a very good price!!!

Actualy no big problems at all. The bad spot is valve covers. They always leak. But this is about it.

Every 60,000 miles you need to change timing belt, but if you brake it before that, no big deal - this is non interferance engine. Crank shaft seal needs to be replaced when you do the timing belt as well.

When Subaru throughs you a check engine light, an environmental device needs to be replaced: one bolt and one connector. Average price for a new solenoid is about 60 dollars. I got one from the junk yard for $5.00

The tapping you heard subaru people call TOD (tick of death). Do not be scared of that. Almost all Subarus of that class have them. I have had it since about new and I have 164 K on mine. This car has hydraulic lifter (HAL).

Good luck on your new car,

Sam

somick
05-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Another source of the tapping might be a bad oil pump seal (so called Mikey Muose seal). Oil pump is done also at the time of timing belt job.

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!