Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 850 Rear Rotor

ted g
05-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I have seen this one before on other cars but didn't expect on this one. The left parking brake I believe is acting up. It is as if it is slightly too tight. I adjusted it at the wheel. The noise stops. Apply and release the brake and it starts again even if the adjuster is backed off too far. I suspect there is either something binding the cable or a part failure in the drum. Should be a no brainer.

Problem, remove the rotor. It is stuck, probably with corrosion to the hub. Yup, I did remove the locater pin. Backed off the brake adjuster.

Does anyone have any idea how to separate the thing? I have pounded on it using a wood block and a hammer. Will try it again yet today. I am afraid of any kind of heat and besides that never worked for me when I did try it. There is nothing to screw into so a puller is not going to work. Hmmm, slide hammer on the edge?????

Anyone else out there seen this one?

Johnny Mullet
05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Get a bigger hammer. Seriously, I would soak it down with penetrating oil, throw the block of wood away and use a heavier hammer around the mounting area, but not the rotor surface. The rotors are pretty tough, so don't be afaraid to wail on it without hitting a stud.

ted g
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks Johnny

I'll give it another try and become, shall we say, a bit more aggressive about it. :)

Ted

Add your comment to this topic!