Front Disc Brake Seizes and then Unseizes...

rwilber
05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
1998 Dodge Ram Diesel 2500 4/4, Front Disc ABS & Rear Drum...after abt 10 miles starts to require more and more rpms till eventually the front brake(?)s lockup... (can't drive the car) driver side is pretty warm almost hot and passanger side is smoking;;;after sitting abt 30 minutes beside the road the pressure releases and the truck works just fine or so I think... that was yesterday

Today,,, it did the same thing... Got it home and read all the post here at Automotive Forums ...

jack it up, spin the wheel, listen for growling sounds, remove the wheel, visual inspection...I'm gonna do that now and report the results as the job progresses...ruled out vacumn issue due to cold start, drive 10 miles, warm start and drive another 10 miles?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

rwilber
05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
OOOPs....think I know what happened ... put power steering fluid instead of brake fluid abt 4 oz from the refill line to the full level. Hope that didn't mess everything up...?

Is there a best way to flush all the brake fluid? I’m thinking open all 4 bleeder valves at the same time and pump the brakes continually and keep the reservoir topped off.

xfeejayx
05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
don't open all 4 at once, that won't drain all of them, just the one with the least resistance. You're going to have to do one at a time.

Add your comment to this topic!