Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Disturbingly Sensitive Brakes

SpoonSwitch
05-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Hey there AF! I was browsing your board tonight and decided, after seeing all of the great help you provide to your members through shared knowlege, to post here myself and see if anyone can enlighten me on this problem...

I own a 2004 Honda Accord LX 2.4l 4cyl and it seems to me that the brakes are WAY off as far as sensitivity goes... let me explain.

You push the brake pedal about 30-40%, and almost nothing happens, at 41-50% however, and overbearing amount of brake pressure seems to suddenly hit the wheels like a bat out of hell...

Now I like to think I have a good amount of automotive intelligence, but as far as I've seen just from this forum and very recently reading up in my Haynes repair manual... That, well, I'm just not that auto-smart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and additional info provided ASAP.

P.S. - 82,000 miles and a recent checkup at AAMCO showed all diagnostic checks to be a-o-k...:)

somick
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I do not trust AAMCO, I personaly have very bad experience with them.

Check your front caliper travel on the slide pins. It might be rusty and prevent caliper from travel.

Good luck,

Sam

SpoonSwitch
05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd like to hear about some of those experiences you have had with them... Were they employee based or did they tamper with your engine etc etc?

I only have one jack for my car is it possible to do that kind of adjustment one wheel at a time?

Forgive my "newbie-ness", I'm trying ^_^

wiseguy01
05-05-2008, 10:25 AM
yes seems like the caliper isnt sliding right also check fluid and take the wheel off and check pad wear over worn pads can cause this prob too

somick
05-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes, you can do it one wheel at a time. Make sure you secure your vehicle with something else besides the jack. Use jack stands. This is VERY important!
Do like wiseguy said. Remove the pads and see if they are evenly worn. With the pads removed see if your caliper slide freely on the pins.

Good luck,

Sam

SpoonSwitch
05-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Just an update, thanks for all the information regarding the brakes!

Unfortunately I live with my parents (One of which excessively worries)...

Yeah I'm a loser I know :loser:

Anyways, they wont let me jack my car up for fear of my life, even though I have four jack stands.... yeah..... ^_^

So we can close this as a non-issue for now! I will work on it maybe when my mom isn't home to tell me what to do :-P.

Damn this post makes me sound like a mama's boy! :lol:

somick
05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, your parents are right. That what parents are for. You can show them this thread and I hope they will let you do it yourself.

You can safely handle this job. You most likely will not lie under the car, but rather sit next to it.

And this is fun after all.

Good luck,

Sam

wiseguy01
05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Just an update, thanks for all the information regarding the brakes!

Unfortunately I live with my parents (One of which excessively worries)...

Yeah I'm a loser I know :loser:

Anyways, they wont let me jack my car up for fear of my life, even though I have four jack stands.... yeah..... ^_^

So we can close this as a non-issue for now! I will work on it maybe when my mom isn't home to tell me what to do :-P.

Damn this post makes me sound like a mama's boy! :lol:

its cool just go to the nearest shop and get an estimate to fix your prob then tell your parents this is what it will cost and maybe they will pay it and your prob will get fixed :lol: mama just loves you thats all and yes jacks you cannot trust one time i had my car fall on me but by the grace of god the curb caught the brake rotor about three inches from my ankle i think it would of broke it right off thats just my experience so always use stands no matter what

SpoonSwitch
05-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I took the car in to check the brakes and no problem was found.

Greulichs Auto in Arizona... The tires do need to be replaced according to them, and now I'm on a hunt for some nice rims that I can keep under about a grand price wise. If you have any suggestions in going about this process let me know via PM.

Thanks for all of the help guys I was very surprised and satisfied with the feedback this forum provided on this topic

Add your comment to this topic!