checking in...

slideways...
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
thought i might hit this part of AF up, just bought an rx7.
follow link for description and pics.
this is my first rotary, so wish me luck.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5720095#post5720095

jcsaleen
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Sounds good man, Welcome to the dark side :p

slideways...
05-05-2008, 12:49 PM
update after i got it on a lift and poked around a bit:
stock aluminum 4 piston front calipers, 1 piston rears
unknown brand slotted rotors unknown pads
unknown brand stainless headers with heat wrap (they look decent quality)
unknown brand middle silencer, dual 2.5" in/out
racing beat stainless dual exhaust
looks like an ebay cone filter on the stock tube
i think its a sparco short shift kit but the only thing to tell me that is the shift knob which i cant remove for whatever reason. maybe its not supposed to come off...
eibach springs, tokico blue dampers
205/60/15 sumitomo htr200 tires on stock rims. even with the worse tires it handles better than my old 240sx hatchback that had stock size traction T/As.

my question is im looking for a high quality VLSD oil, but not many people can tell me what to use. redline heavy? i heard that some diffs arent good with that stuff...
any thoughts?
also what engine oil do you guys recommend, especially the guys with modified 7s?
the haynes manual has this obscure table with temperature ranges and obsolete API designations, so any suggestions welcome.

actually the suggestions with no experience to back them up are not welcome. ;)

jcsaleen
05-12-2008, 11:23 AM
20W-50! Rotaries love it thick and synthetic is bad news :shakehead

slideways...
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
ok good. ive heard from alot that amsoil/royal purple is ok to run in rotaries, and alot of people say they run 10w30.
my first oil change i put in castrol GTX 10w40, and valvoline semi-syn 80w90 in the transmission. also what do you recommend for fluid in the stock VLSD? ive been told whatever 80w90 is just fine, i just want to make sure.

oh and i like the quote in your sig. but how much hp would a honda insight need to reach the bugatti's top speed? probably something like 450.

jcsaleen
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
ok good. ive heard from alot that amsoil/royal purple is ok to run in rotaries, and alot of people say they run 10w30.
my first oil change i put in castrol GTX 10w40, and valvoline semi-syn 80w90 in the transmission. also what do you recommend for fluid in the stock VLSD? ive been told whatever 80w90 is just fine, i just want to make sure.

80W90 is fine for it. I'm pretty sure I'm running that but don't quote me on it lol. As far as royal purple, yea rotaries love it ask for me I stick ith valvoline but I might switch over one of these days. 20W50 you will notice better throttle response as weird as may sound if you go to athicker oil imo.

oh and i like the quote in your sig. but how much hp would a honda insight need to reach the bugatti's top speed? probably something like 450.

Lol, probably impossible imo. The aerodynamics are just not there.

Good luck with the car I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 50/50 weight distribution FTW! :evillol:

slideways...
05-13-2008, 08:26 AM
thanks. ill keep you guys posted with any mods/repairs/mishaps that occur, with photos if i can get my hands on a camera.

Add your comment to this topic!