Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Ram 250 heater core?

acessna
04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Where is the1996 full sized Dodge van heater core located?

I have a 1996 Ram 250 full sized dual zone AC/ heater van. I am loseing coolent and it drips off the front of the bell housing of the transmission in the middle of the vehicle. I haven't jacked the truck up yet, but the inside carpets are dry. It maybe leaking down what looks to be about a 3/8" rubber hose that follows the crannies along the drivers side of the transmission.

With the engine running and heater off it drips about 2 drops a second onto the ground? If it is the heater core problem, would I have to drop the dash? Does it sound like an average DIYer (me) could fix it? Or about how many hours should I expect to pay for if I have a pro fix the leak?

Thanks

alloro
04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Get the engine heated up and run your defrosters. If you do not get a foggy reside on the inside of the windshield your HC isn't leaking. You might have a freeze plug leaking at the back of the engine.

BTW, the HC is inside the big black box in the engine compartment on the passenger side. You can actually follow the two heater hoses right to it along the firewall. That black box has to come out through the hood and the HC can be taken out of it once it's out.

acessna
04-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks so much.

Since the leak was running down the transmission case amd not showing on the the crankcase, I was concerned there was a second heater core to supply the back seat zone.

I have had the freeze plugs replaced before so I will check it out tomorrow.

Add your comment to this topic!