Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing Water Pump in '05 Impala

Shane_123066
04-30-2008, 09:33 AM
I have the base model (3.4L).

What am I up against?

Any precautions or stuff to watch out for?

On the surface, it looks like an easy job and THAT is very scary.

Colt Hero
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
If it's like my '02 Impala, it's VERY easy (even for me, a non-mechanic). Stick a 3/8" ratchet into the center hole on the tensioner and pull back to release tension on the serp belt. Partially remove the belt. Remove the bolts holding the pulley on (4?). Remove the pulley. Remove the bolts holding the pump in (5?). Remove the pump. Apply sealant around the perimeter of new pump (I think my $35 Autozone replacement had a paper gasket, too - might've laid this over the top of the sealant). Bolt it all back up and slip the belt back on the pulley. I don't have the torque numbers for the bolts with me right now, but I replaced mine during a vacation and just carefully tightened all the bolts the same amount. I had driven 900 miles to my destination and discovered a pool of coolant underneath the car after turning it off. Turned out it was leaking out the weep hole at the bottom of the pump.

Oh yeah, one other thing - there was a notch or triangular marking embossed on the body of the pump to indicate which side was up. Your existing pump should have the same mark, so look for it before pulling it out so that you can orient the new pump the same way...

Add your comment to this topic!