Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EGR Valve Problems - past 80k Warranty Extension

DGHIII
04-29-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm sure most helpers have guidance in regards to the Oddyssey EGR Valve issue by directing inquiries to seek out the Honda Extended warranty. However, my issue is in regards to a persistent problem, which the shop I visit cannot seem to resolve. The shop has cleaned under the valve and even replaced the EGR valve, however, I still continue to the engine light indicator after visting about 5 times. Basically, the shop does not 1) understand the problem or 2) does not know how to fix the problem.

My question for you techies is, aside form the standard 1491 fault indication EGR valve flow, is there another sensor that could be triggering this issue? Perhaps a position or other type of sensor that is sensing the flow? The shop continues to imply its the EGR valve and clogging, and I'm wondering if there is something else that could be actually triggering the sensor, besides the typical bad flow rate of the EGR valve.

:banghead:

Thanks to anyone that can fix my headache.

rodeo02
05-02-2008, 02:13 AM
What year Ody? Have you visited a dealer? There was a recall on this where a teflon coated sleeve/pipe is added to the factory EGR plumbing to reduce carbon plugging. I beleive 2000-01 models?? With most Honda dealerships, if you are cool with the Service Advisor, they will cover parts if you cover most of the labor $, even when you are way out of warranty.

Joel

DGHIII
05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Joel,

I have not yet gone to Honda, but getting pretty close. I've been giving the shop I went to every opportunity to fix the issue.

After getting the typical failure code, the shop indicated that they knew exactly what is was, and that they need to clean out behind the egr valve.
This was no 1 visit. No 2 was another cleaning. No 3 was to replace the egr valve. No 4 was another cleaning. No 5 was "supposedly" a seal that may have been leaking, thus bad vacuum. Each time after the service, about one day later the indicator came back on. After spending $250 for the service, I did not necessarily want to take the loss, but I may have to just to get a proper fix.

Should I get the light again, I think I'll take your advise. And, thanks for the reply as its appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!