Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 lesabre: Coolant in oil

ronsaircooled
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi, Just read some old threads about UIM and LIM, Egr problems. Took the car about 3 miles to the store. On the way back, starts skipping, etc. While idling in the driveway, I start checking wires, etc. and pull the radiator cap. No water? Top it off, put the cap on, and 5 minutes later water is down again. Shut it off and read the dipstick and oil level is about 7 inches up. I figure it's head gaskets. From reading the threads it seems to be the intake/ egr problem, but one person said if the coolant gets in the oil, it's all over?? I immmediately drained the oil and coolant. What is the possibility of doing the repair on the intake and the engine being OK, or is it fried? Thanks, Ron

stripe
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi, Just read some old threads about UIM and LIM, Egr problems. Took the car about 3 miles to the store. On the way back, starts skipping, etc. While idling in the driveway, I start checking wires, etc. and pull the radiator cap. No water? Top it off, put the cap on, and 5 minutes later water is down again. Shut it off and read the dipstick and oil level is about 7 inches up. I figure it's head gaskets. From reading the threads it seems to be the intake/ egr problem, but one person said if the coolant gets in the oil, it's all over?? I immmediately drained the oil and coolant. What is the possibility of doing the repair on the intake and the engine being OK, or is it fried? Thanks, Ron

3 inches up on the dipstick?
You have a bad leak.
If that is as far as you went (3miles) and it turned off without too much heat you are probably ok.

Cheers
Stripe

imidazol97
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Crank the motor in short bursts so it doesn't start to put oil pressure and put oil into the bearings to push out oil that had coolant in it.

Call a tow truck. Probably have upper intake manifold leaking water into the intake.

Add your comment to this topic!