Cylinder head?

projectgsr
04-29-2008, 03:45 AM
Ok, so I finally had the time to torque down my new head gasket today and reinstall my cams. Two questions. First, why is it that almost every forum and source on the net advises to torque down arp head studs to around 70 psi yet when I read the instructions that arp gave me it said to torque the nuts on the studs down to 80 psi with the moly lube? I'll be honest, that does seem a bit too much considering the stock torque is only 63 psi according to my Chilton's manual. Too late though because I already torqued them down to 78 psi and luckly I didn't break any of them :)

Second question. My Chilton's manual also notes to torque down the camshaft holder's to 20 psi for the fatter bolts and only 8.2 psi for the smaller bolts. That seems very loose to me for some reason. I'm not saying I'm superman :) but it seemed like I gave those bolts hardly any effort at all. Is that really tight enough to hold the camshafts in place with an engine reving up over 8k? Any help would be well taken. Thanks in advance.

jclark
04-29-2008, 07:34 AM
PSI??????
Do you mean "foot pounds"?? (I hope so)
and not "inch pounds" -big difference.:)

Also: Make sure your specs are for your engine.
They vary a little by which engine you have.

projectgsr
04-29-2008, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=jclark]PSI??????
Do you mean "foot pounds"?? (I hope so)
and not "inch pounds" -big difference.:)

Yes, of course I did. My bad I wrote this thread at like 1:00 in the morning. I torqued everything down to foot lbs :)

Add your comment to this topic!