Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hydrolock Aftermath?

danf1
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
new here, need help =(((((

hopefully someone's online right now...
well the day before yesterday i was driving in the rain and went into a puddle i didnt see.. sadly i have a cold air intake and water went up in there.. needed to get it towed to my house cuz it stalled. well i did some research and ended up doing what i saw.. so i took out the plugs and found that one of the combustion chambers was filled with water...
long story short.. i cleaned the plugs, with wd40, pumped the water out of the chamber, sprayed wd40 in there (water displacer or whatever) and let it dry overnight... it's pretty humid outside so i dont know if it's fully dried but i put the plugs back in today and it will turn over but wont start.. any help as to what i should do? maybe starting fluid or whatnot? i took the intake off and cleaned it and dried it but didnt put it back on yet, so it's just turning and turning but doesnt seem to have any combustion.. HALP PREAZ!

david-b
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Replace the plugs. A lot of time when they get wet they're pretty much dead.
Take out the plugs and try sucking anymore water out. Then keep them out and let it air dry some more.
Change the oil and check for water.

So the crank turns but it doesn't fire? If so, you're very lucky the crank is turning.

danf1
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
i know i am VERY lucky it is turning.. it actually locked up for a little but it started turning again... i dont wanna replace the plugs =( i might have to put some old ones to see if that's the problem.. but these that are on there right now i have actually cleaned them up to look like they're new.. but will definately change the oil and hopefully that will do ..

thanks

SilvrEclipse
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
The crank would only lock up when the water was still in the cylinders. I would let them motor dry out some more and replace the plugs and oil. When my sister did that to her explore it took the car 3 days to finally crank back up. When you get it started and warmed up do a compression check, some times a hydrolocked motor will blow out the rings and could even bend a rod so listen for any noise when you get it started.

When my sister did it the motor was not damaged at all but you said a cylinder was full of water and thats not a good sign.

david-b
04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Well changing the oil inst going to help the firing, but I'm sure there's water on it and you don't want that.

danf1
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
ya as soon as this stupid rain stops im gonna be able to do all these things.. i need my car -_-

Thor06
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Ummm, I dont know for 100% sure, but I dont think spraying WD-40 was the right thing to do. I'd change the oil to get the water/WD-40 out of it, maybe drop a couple drops of oil in the cylinders to relubricate the cylinders, and I think I'd take the spark plugs out and crank 'er over a few times to help get it out. It might not be a bad idea to let the cylinders air out a day or two. Also, you might want to invest in a bypass valve.

danf1
04-29-2008, 07:04 PM
thanks for all of your help.. sadly.. i think my crankshaft or rod is broken. i finally got someone to turn the key for me while i looked.. only 3 of the pistons moves up and down =( job for a mechanic now
as i cry in the fetal position on my bed

Black99GST
04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
pull off the oil pan while you have the oil drained and have a look-see.... that sucks...

gthompson97
04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Your motor is shot. You may get lucky if you just busted the rod and didn't mess up anything else. All you would have to do is buy a piston/rod and replace the broken one (granted the cylinder and crank are fine). But you'll at least have to pull the pan and head to find out how bad it really is.

And that's exactly why I will never put a low-sitting CAI on a car.

vanilla gorilla
04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Ummm, I dont know for 100% sure, but I dont think spraying WD-40 was the right thing to do.

WD 40 is supposed to displace the water. On our camaro we washed the engine and then it didnt start, so we sprayed the sensors and electronics and crap with wd40 and she started up.

Add your comment to this topic!