Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Bonneville Likes to Die

TheUndertakerAS
04-27-2008, 07:34 AM
I seem to unfortunately have an issue with my Bonneville. The engine likes to shut off randomly while either sitting idle or going down the highway, all of which seems to happen without warning. The vehicle throws no codes as to which can better narrow down the issue but here is what I do know. The car gets fuel. Sometimes it refuses to start up and will flood itself out all of which then leads me to spark. This however is not an issue because it does infact have spark. I have taken this vehicle to a garage and they have concluded it is either an issue with the cars security system (which I highly doubt for the security light does not come on nor will it allow the car to even have spark) or a faulty crankshaft sensor which seems more reasonable. I am at a loss as to what exactly it can be as I have thought of possibly the fuel pump going bad or a bad ground which all have been ruled out. Any help or ideas as to if it may be something other than the crankshaft sensor before I end up putting more money into this vehicle and the problem still persisting?

maxwedge
04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Welcome to AF, do you have spark and injector pulse when it will not start, will it start spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake, these checks will help point you in the right direction.

jthl
05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi, i have a 96 bonnie that just started to have the same problem your having, once in a while the check engine light comes on and i have put the scanner on it and it tells me that its the EGR PINTLE which all i got to do is clean out the carbon out of the EGR and in the same day the light goes out. Also when i start the car it cranks more than it should, i would say it cranks bout 8 to 10 seconds and then it starts,(battery and voltage is ok)once in a while it sarts normal, what i mean by normal is turning the key and starting right away. So i dont know what to do or what to start replacing. hope someone can help thanks.....

TheUndertakerAS
05-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry I didn't update this earlier but here is what was done and what happened. I took it to the garage and had the crankshaft sensor replaced. This solved nothing unforunately and still left the problem hanging. We (myself and the mechanics) finally came to the conclussion it had to be something to do with the ignition. We finally checked the Ignition Control Module and replaced it and boom...problem solved. I should of also mentioned before that the motor in my vehicle now was one that I replaced and when doing so I took this part from the old engine and stuck it on the new one without putting any dielectric grease on it to protect it from the heat. In turn it eventually got fried and was in need of a replacement. Hopefully to any other users wih this problem can use this as a reference.

maxwedge
05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi, i have a 96 bonnie that just started to have the same problem your having, once in a while the check engine light comes on and i have put the scanner on it and it tells me that its the EGR PINTLE which all i got to do is clean out the carbon out of the EGR and in the same day the light goes out. Also when i start the car it cranks more than it should, i would say it cranks bout 8 to 10 seconds and then it starts,(battery and voltage is ok)once in a while it sarts normal, what i mean by normal is turning the key and starting right away. So i dont know what to do or what to start replacing. hope someone can help thanks.....
Welcome to AF, start a new thread here this is not related, thanks.

bratfry
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
<so I took this part from the old engine and stuck it on the new one without putting any dielectric grease on it to protect it from the heat.>

Where did you put the dielectric grease on the ignition module?

Are you saying you used it heat sink grease between the module and the mounting bracket?

I don't understand...Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!