Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 avenger 2.0 runs good till i drive 30 miles

Dterry
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
hello i have a 97 avenger with the 2.0 4cyl it has the 5speed tranny. i recently replaced the cam seals cause it was leaking oil after doing so we put it back together thinking we had the timing correct turns out we didnt it ran ok idle was rough but after 1000rpm it ran good i drove it this way for 3 weeks untill i went about 30 miles and stoped and it shut off it wouldent start right away biut after a few cycles of the key it fired and wouldent idle i let it cool down and it ran fine for another 30 miles so we tore it back apart and saw the crank was 1 tooth off we put it back together and still idles rough and shuts off i dont know if the computer got used to the timing and just needs time or if somthing else is wrong... also the check engine light come on the first time never got the code but isnt on after the timing adjustment thank you Daniel Terry

bagelzz06
06-07-2008, 11:47 PM
sounds like its still has bad timing on it and the valves are lifting out of sequence, 30 miles is probably the point where the engine floods, thats why it is having the problem with restarting. i don't really know on the 2.0, but my 2.5 dohc was a pain to retime and it took 3 attempts

Add your comment to this topic!