Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Biggest hack job

Bodar
04-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Well this is my first post and its a doozy. i will have pics up tomoro just to prove all this nonsense and hopefully get some help. ok i have a 1985 lebaron gts 4door hatchback. it has a rebuild engine and tranny. i got this thing for free from someone in my family. now stay with me here this is gunna get really messed. It has the 2.2 FI turbo in it, well had. the engine remains, but the manifold has been swapped with a non turbo version. and all lines to the turbo have been pinched. the injectors remain, but on the intake there is a carb:screwy:.
so the throttle has been changed to work with the positioning sensor on the carb. so it seems the carb only shanges the airflow? i dont know. anyways, the fuelinjected airbox has also been modified to work with this.... as of now the car has 5000 kms on it. it ran fine, then one day it stopped. and has never ran again. so i got it and took it home. it cranks no problem, but its like it has no fuel. now i am looking a a carb and a FI setup. or the pump? ill DMM it tomoro when i get pics. please someone try and help me here, i need it bad. the car is in great shape otherwise. thanks for looking.

taillight
04-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Check for fuel pressure to the carb.

Bodar
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
so i checked to voltage to the fuel pump. and there was 2volts. is that right? shound't it be 12? also i cant hear the fuel pump engage when the ignition is turned on. Should i replace the fuel sending unit?

Bodar
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM
ill get pics soon, sorry bout that.

taillight
04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
You should have 12 volts to the pump with the engine running or cranking.

Bodar
04-27-2008, 08:46 PM
so what need to be replaced then?

Johnny Mullet
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I gotta see these pics.

taillight
04-28-2008, 06:56 AM
The fuel pump for the carb should have about 5 pounds of fuel pressure. For the turbo it is about 60 pounds. If it still has the turbo pump, if you do get it working, the carb will flood.

Bodar
04-28-2008, 07:54 AM
ok where is the turbo pump located? i know that the car was running great so i dont think it has the turbo pump on it....

Bodar
04-28-2008, 07:55 AM
and what about the fuel injection system on it?

taillight
04-28-2008, 08:40 AM
The pump is in the tank.

Bodar
04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
ill have pics up in a few hours. i am going there right now....:grinyes:

Bodar
05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Few hours turned into a few dayz, lol. sorry guys im really busy.....

Here is just a pic of the rear of the car. it is almost 100% rust free
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/Picture026-2.jpg
As i found in an auto wreckers yard. the whole carb, fuel injection thing is on these cars as stock. i do not understand....:screwy:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/Picture022-2.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/Picture021-2.jpg
and these two shots are between the fire wall and the engine. where the turbo should be.....
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/Picture019-3.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/Picture020-3.jpg
I poured gas into the carb and canked it and she started right up and ran untill the carb dried out. I DMMed the fuel pump came up with 3 volts at the pump. found the wiring in the cab and got 12 volts. i pulled the tank and bought a brand new fuel pump. The tank was taken and steamed out so it is clean as a whistle. Hoping this will all work out????:iceslolan

Bodar
05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
lol, and the House plumbing that is on there for whatever reason is changed out with that flex tube stuff. lol, i chuckled pretty good when i seen it.

madmanmapper
05-01-2008, 10:47 PM
If you really want to save this car, why don't you convert it back to its original fuel injection (perhaps turbo as well)??? Just go junk yard hunting every now and then. I've seen these turbos in the junk yards from time to time. Hell, I even spotted a Maserati TC in the junkyard once... poor thing.

Bodar
05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
ya ive already scoped it all out. there is one near me wrecker near me and they do have the exact same one in there. so whats with the carb on these cars? if it fuel injected why would it have a carb? ive seen a few others now and they are the same. really weird, stupid dodge. i will be putting it back to the way it was... i snapped all the bolts getting one turbo off. and after getting it out, it had way to much play to use. so i threw it in a puddle..... lol ill go back this weekend.

madmanmapper
05-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Chrysler was still just warming up to fuel injection at the time... the lower model cars in the 80s probably were carbuerated and fuel injection was an option. And since all these different options (combos of: fuel injection, carbueration, and turbo) were all for the same engine, there's a lot of different parts that will fit on your engine. But it would never have come out of the factory with fuel injection AND a carbuerator, that's redundant. Your car is just hodge-podge (hodge-Plodge perhaps? :D ).

Probably some guy who knew nothing about fuel injection got angry at this car and put a carbuerator on it to make it run.

Bodar
05-02-2008, 11:33 PM
lol, god i hope not. like i said its like that on all the factory one i have seen in the wreckers..... i just dont get what it is. just controls to air intake....

madmanmapper
05-07-2008, 02:54 AM
lol, god i hope not. like i said its like that on all the factory one i have seen in the wreckers..... i just dont get what it is. just controls to air intake....

So you're saying that it actually uses the fuel injection and is not carbuerated... so the "carbuerator" you speak of is really just the throttle then? So apparently the reason your engine won't run is because the fuel injection system is not working. Then again, you said your fuel pump was bad, so it should work now, if you hotwire the starter, of course. But I assume it isn't running???????? :sly:

Add your comment to this topic!