Help. 94 Lincoln towncar fuel pump problem

AtruEulogy
04-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Any info on where to look would be nice. I have a 94 lincoln town sig series, and lately for the past two months, i have had trouble starting it. the engine always cranks, but wont start. I keep checking the fuel rail for pressure, and somtimes i have it somtimes i dont. Occasionaly the car will start on first try. somtimes it wont start for days. always good weather not cold or anything. so what im getting is somtimes the fuel pump starts somtimes it dont.. where should i start my problem solving. what relays, what wires, i baught a new fuel pump. but want to make sure before installing it. how can i tell if its somthing like wireing or fuel pump giving out.. HELP PLEASE>

danielsatur
04-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Spray starting fluid in the INAKE.
If the car starts,the problem is going tobe the fuel system.

There's a reset for electric fuel pump,this will disable fuel pump during
an accident.

You should be able to hear the electric fuel pump, when the key is in the on pos.
When the proper fuel pressure is reached it will turn off.

Don't for get to replace your fuel filter too.

Bearfoot
04-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Don't forget to replace your fuel filter too - McGiver

That's the first thing I'd do. All too often the filter is the problem.

AtruEulogy
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Reply To The last post for my lincoln... Im already confident that it is the fuel system, I just dont know how to troubleshoot the wiring to determine if its the fuel pump itself or the wiring to the fuel pump. What wire connections or relays should i check to figure if it needs a pump. or just replacement of a relay or cut wire.. Oh and about the Fuel Filter, I already changed it. in my attempts to figure out if the pump was pumping.. Somtimes it does. Somtimes it dont.

danielsatur
04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe the fuel pump relay is sticking.
You might beable to clean or roll with another relay of the same type.
Sometime you can take apart or drill a small hole.
Clean with CRC electrical cleaner,Don't forget to plug hole with silicone.
JYD might have a relay for you!

jkingiii
04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 96. Very frustrating. I ended up changing everything out, including the fuel pump. Took it to several mechanics who couldn't find the problem; it always worked for them. I then came to this forum and got the answer. Haven't had a problem since. There is a fuel pump relay under the hood, just to the right of the brake fluid. It cost about $25. I changed that over a year ago and never had a problem since.

AtruEulogy
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
actually. i havent checked to see if the relay is sticking. but im sure that is the problem if the pump still turns on occasionaly.. just need to know if its possible for the pump to sometimes work and still be bad. i know my next step is going to be buying a new relay and see if that fixes the problem. if not, it would most likely be the pump righ??

ok guys.. Followup.... I just tried starting it.. Got nothing but cranking.. I switched the ac relay (same one as fuel pump relay) it started but was running ruff then shuts off.. i put them back the way they where and it started. then shut it off. waited, and it didnt start.. put starter fluid in and it started but didnt stay started. let it sit. tried no start... let sit,, tried again. and it started. WTF... help.. please. Is it possible for the fuel pump to be bad and still occasionally work. ?? every time i do this procedure i check for pressure on the fuel rail.. when it starts it pisses out, when it doesnt start there no pressure. fuel pump is only occasionally starting... is there a way to check for bad wiring when it fails to start. maybe if i put it to start position and it wont start, is there somwhere i can check for power to pump to dismiss any wiring fault. or what pins do i check on the relay for continuity. i have a oms tester. and volt meeter and know how to use it. so dont be affraid to get semi technical here. thanks guys. so far for the help.

Towncar
04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I have your 94 (93/94) FSM on my webpage, it will have the wiring diagrams as well. Follow my forum name to my web page.

danielsatur
04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Also, that fuel pressure switch could be bad.
JYD has a Pix of a TC that was on fire.
I suspected fuel pump relay was the cause,because of HOT spot.
http://cmasalvage.com/92_tc_pics10.JPG

Note: Fuel pump can draw alot of current,you must have good grnds on pump.

junk yard doggie
04-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I've been fooling with a 96 crown vic have. It quit running on me last year and haven't been able to get it started until just the other day. I thought the fuel pump had gone out but it turns out that I had a no spark issue. I wiggled some relays and it started right up. I tried doing the same thing over the winter and nothing? But it was also to cold to spend more than 5 minutes working on it. Check to see if you have consistent spark.

AtruEulogy
04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
hey guys, thanks for all the brainstorming, I walked out today to start the car, and it starts and purs like a kitten. i didnt really do anything to the car, but move some relays around. But there is somthing new i just learned about my 94 LIncoln Town Sig Series that either you guys may know or possible now you learn somthing new as well.

anyone here of a Bad oil Pressure switch. Or low oil pressure. Now i have plenty of oil in the car. but i read up with my new fuel pump i baught that it says " a loss of oil pressure or a defective oil pressure witch will cause the pump to be inoperative. our oil pressure switch or equivalent should be used to replace the defective switch.

so if you guys ever get one of these again.. tell the person to. Check there oil or oil pressure switch. im going to check mine today. see if i need a new one.

Add your comment to this topic!