63 Nove rear end swap

jimpeter1945
04-24-2008, 04:49 PM
I want to know if a 67 Mustang rear end would work. If not how about a S-10 or Ford Ranger rear ? There are a lot of them avaliable with limited slip. Would they be strong enough for a 350 about 370 horse?

scoopy03
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM
if u want to fab it up anything can fit but im pretty sure it is NOT a direct swap. im pretty sure chevy has to stay with gm rears for a direct swap.

jimpeter1945
04-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I want to know if a 67 Mustang rear end would work. If not how about a S-10 or Ford Ranger rear ? There are a lot of them avaliable with limited slip. Would they be strong enough for a 350 about 370 horse?

Sorry should have explained more just looking for something of the right width. I know that spring perches are wrong . I just wanted a starting point and width sounded good . I can go with a four bar suspension. Not afraid to do the work. The origanal is not what I would call a prime rear 8.125 ring gear not much aftermarket stuff for them.

NOVA71
04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd stay away from the S10 rearend if they are the small 7.5 or 7.625 version. I think some of the newer S10 and Blazers came with the bigger 8.5 rear as an option. That might be a good choice if you could find one of the bigger ones. They are probably harder to come by than the smaller wimpy ones. Just make sure of all your measurements.

I put an 8.5 rear out of an 80 Z28 in my Nova. Almost a direct fit, just 1 inch wider total. 1/2 inch on each side, you can't even notice it. Just had to cut of the spring perches and weld on a new set in the proper location. Pretty simple swap all things considered. Only trouble I ran into was the yolk on the rear took a bigger u joint than my drive shaft. Had to get a u joint with different sized ends to mate the 2 up. Not a big deal.

jimpeter1945
04-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd stay away from the S10 rearend if they are the small 7.5 or 7.625 version. I think some of the newer S10 and Blazers came with the bigger 8.5 rear as an option. That might be a good choice if you could find one of the bigger ones. They are probably harder to come by than the smaller wimpy ones. Just make sure of all your measurements.

I put an 8.5 rear out of an 80 Z28 in my Nova. Almost a direct fit, just 1 inch wider total. 1/2 inch on each side, you can't even notice it. Just had to cut of the spring perches and weld on a new set in the proper location. Pretty simple swap all things considered. Only trouble I ran into was the yolk on the rear took a bigger u joint than my drive shaft. Had to get a u joint with different sized ends to mate the 2 up. Not a big deal.

If you used it in the 71 no problrm.My rear end is narrow axle flange to axle flange is 57.5 inches.The axle out of the Camaro would be about 62 63 inches.

NOVA71
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I just checked the rear in my 2000 GMC Jimmy and it measures roughly 51-52 inches from the backside of each backing plate. I just checked the length of the Camaro rear that is in my Nova and it measures about 55 inches from the backside of each backing plate.

jimpeter1945
04-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I just checked the rear in my 2000 GMC Jimmy and it measures roughly 51-52 inches from the backside of each backing plate. I just checked the length of the Camaro rear that is in my Nova and it measures about 55 inches from the backside of each backing plate.

inside measurment from backing plate flange to the other flange on the 63 Nova is 53 inches. Sorry I was going from the axle face to axle face.

Add your comment to this topic!