Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

heater door actuator

miguel2112
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Does anyone know where the vacuum controlled actuator for the heater doors is located and is there one for each side?

ghutchin
04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't think there is a heater door. There are mixing doors which are controlled by an electronic servo. If the temperature between the two sides is drastically different then chances are one of those is broken.

If you are on the drivers side with your head on the floor looking up they would be on your left. If you are in the drivers seat they are in teh dash behind the stereo and the temperature controls. There are two of them, one for drivers side and one for passenger side.

miguel2112
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for you input. I did some dilligent hunting and it would be nice to be a contortionist to see these. There are 3 on the drivers side which I checked. The center one does the air blending(hot,warm,cold), the upper one routs air to defrost and the lower sends air to the floor. this is the side that does'nt get cold. Tomorrow I will check the servo on the passengers side (only one on that side) and see what's up. Right now I'm baffled cause all the servo's on the drivers side appear to be OK but this is the side that's not getting cold air while the passengers side is quite cold?:screwy:

miguel2112
04-26-2008, 04:35 PM
OK after more investigating, cooling on pass side not on drivers side, all servo's appear to be moving, depending on what control feature is selected but here's a wierd thing, when I adjudt the temp control from cool (60 deg) to the hot end of range (90 deg) the air flow to all vents -left door, center console and right door gradually diminishes that by the time I reach 90 deg there's no air flow out the vents.........could the control head be messing with me??? Come on techs I know someone can help me figre this out.

ghutchin
04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
What your describing is kind of weird. As another option, there have been numerous post about the passenger side bowing cold air and the drivers side blowing hot and that the problem was low refrigerant in the system. I know it sounds weird, but I would get a pressure gauge and check the system before wasting anymore time.

brcidd
04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Blowing hot air out the vents is not wanted by design-- people don't want hot air in their faces- so your car is designed to avoid that-- there are extra damper doors to make it shut off only when in full hot-- there is also a damper door that avoids putting full cold air out the defrost ducts- so it sounds like your system is working as designed-- as far as air flow-- now for the air temp problem--

Yes, if the a/c system is low on refrigerant, the passenger side will be cooler than the driver's side- due to the configuration and flow through the evaporator-- so recover your refrigerant, check the amount , look for leaks if not up to factory spec (hint- the compressor body and/or shaft seals are highly suspect) and fix the leaks- and vacuum and recharge to factory spec- and all should be good.....

Add your comment to this topic!