Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help! Passenger window won't stay up! :[

krashx6
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
For a while now, my passenger side window on my 2002 SE Coupe keeps slipping down. When I roll it up, it makes a bumping noise, and fails to securely roll all the way up, so I drive around with the passenger window cracked, and I cannot take it anymore!

I live in Orlando, Florida, went to a Pep Boys where they not only misquoted me, saying it was JUST the motor. Turns out it's both the motor AND regulator. They said the parts, if I bought them from Honda myself, would cost about $320 and service would be $130. ($450)

I saw a Honda car tech come into my work the other day, and he said he would do the services himself. All I would have to do is give him my car key while I'm at work and he'd bring it back to the shop and fix it. He said he'd do it all for $375. I'm a little hesitant though :/

Is there any way I could preform this service myself with basic tools?
If so, where would I find instructions on how to do it?

Or, can anyone recommend somewhere else I could go where it would be cheaper?

Thanks!

somick
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Before spending 400 bucks I would try to do it myself.

Remove your door decorative panel and see yourself what is going on. It may be just a loose screws that hold the motor assembly. It may be just a bad regulator.

Good luck,

Sam

stang805
04-24-2008, 11:43 PM
screw that, just push it up and duct tape it. actually its not real hard to replace that, I'd check ebay for the parts, just get the whole thing.

bwd
05-04-2008, 01:14 AM
I just replaced the window regulator w/motor on a 2000 Accord sedan. Dealer wanted $90 diagnostic charge and said it could be a $500 repair.
You will want to determine if you need to replace the window regulator or if it is something loose that only needs to be tightened or adjusted.
The window regulator and motor can be purchased as one assembly for anywhere from $60-$175 aftermarket. I got mine online for $88 with shipping. The job can be done with basic tools - 8mm, 10mm sockets and box wrenches, phillips head screwdriver. A first timer can do it in a little over 1 or 1 1/2 hours. You may need a flat stiff piece of metal to pry the door panel out - it is held in with plastic fasteners to the metal frame.
Google "Honda window regulator" to get a picture of what you need to replace. It is basically a long track bar with cables and motor attached. The motor pulls the cables that pull a metal tab attached to the window up or down.
While waiting for the part, I pushed a bolt thru whole on the inside of the door panel just below the window to hold the window up so it could not be pushed down. The trickiest part is removing the door panel.

I don't see how they can quote so flippin much for labor on this.

Add your comment to this topic!