Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WTF...no love?!

speedphreak
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
So, I was receltly told via internet that I am a child for "playing with model cars." Hmmm. I found this rather offensive. Why do most people percieve this hobby as "childish?" I believe it shows massive amount of patience, aritistic ability and creativeness. What gives?

drunken monkey
04-23-2008, 11:04 AM
does it matter?

speedphreak
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
This is great. Now he is calling me a retard and telling me to go glue plastic together. Mind you (not putting anyone down.... but him lol) this is coming from some kid who plays World of Warcraft all day and probably masturbates to victoria secret magazines. This is truly a sad sad day for our youth....

But whatever...ignorance is bliss. I am knowledgable about this WOW phenomanon...or whatever. I am just saying, why put someone down for doing something you don't agree with? What is wrong with people?

tigeraid
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
this is coming from some kid who plays World of Warcraft all day and probably masturbates to victoria secret magazines.

Sears catalogue.

:p

Spike2933
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
world of warcraft, isn't that a childs game :p: tell him to get a life and a job

kaho
04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey hey now let's not bash the magazine...:redface:

cyberkid
04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Most of the time when this happens to me it comes from a friend. What I do then is just give them a model and let them use my gear. Then I say, if you can finish this model OOB within *enter amount of time here* ( normally I say 1 to 4 weeks) and you still think its childish, then I'll quit.
Ever since I've done that I've either brought the friend into modeling or at least gotten well earned respect.
Most of the time they can't get past the engine.
Of course, I teach them to do it up to my standards lol...shhh...most of them don't know I'm a perfectionist :evillol:

Kids or young adults today have lost the value of mutual respect. Most of them live in their own worlds thinking "Dang man! I'm God!"

*Sighs and turns back to making lesson plans for such children...*

bigfrit
04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't bash Victoria's secret nor Warcrafts!

And most of all don't bash modeling!

Oh, and don't bash stamps collecting, flyfishing and pipesmoking championships.
Also don't bash chess, don't bash masturbating, don't bash reading, don't bash listening to abba...

You get the picture.

Whatever rows your boat is fine by me.

But bash bashers. Freakin bashers!

rsxse240
04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
In response to Cyberkid's post on telling friends to try it out....

Do you know how many free models, paints, and other tools I get from doing this? lol They give up, then just give all the stuff they bought to me, since I'll definitely use it. My latest offering was a Tamiya Z-tune R34!

rockinanko
04-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Ah yes, speaking of bashing this 'modeling' childish hobby of ours...

the most used method to bring our (modeling) point across is a challenge...both build the same kit together & compare the finished model to any diecast. if a 3rd party chooses HIS finished model over mine, i'll drop my work down 11th storeys to the ground to get that '' sound.

no one took the challenge...yet.

to me, this childish thing gives me ample opportunity to 'brainstorm'. you lose a part, accidentally broke one, wanna try something new or even build a totally different thing altogether...all are brain-storming trainings i've been going thru' these past 32 years, and i love it!

nope, i still a nobody now...but my brain reflexes are so much faster & quicker than most of my peers & siblings! i could solve problems in a snap, crack a joke out of nowhere, go sleepless for a few nights too, without sweat!

i have 2 young sons now, and i have over 100+ 1/24 ferraris here. i'm damn sure i'll expose & nurture them to modeling too, in time. getting to that finished build is secondary, getting that brainstorming kick is THE reason!!!

any violent objections???:smokin:

marc
SGP

cyberkid
04-24-2008, 04:42 AM
In response to Cyberkid's post on telling friends to try it out....

Do you know how many free models, paints, and other tools I get from doing this? lol They give up, then just give all the stuff they bought to me, since I'll definitely use it. My latest offering was a Tamiya Z-tune R34!
Lol around a third of my stash is from friends that couldn't handle it. I only ask them to provide the model and body paint. Like I said earlier, I let them use most my tools.
I would rather have modeling friends than normal friends and a lot of tools, if you can understand me... :rolleyes:

rockinanko
04-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Do you know how many free models, paints, and other tools I get from doing this? lol They give up, then just give all the stuff they bought to me,

gee, i wish i could have friends that gives up!
problem is, here in SGP...seems i'm the very very few who does car modeling, after discounting the other model types. maybe 50 of us!?

say who's from SGP here!?!?

so you think you wanna find a part, just ask for help? hehe....wishful:banghead:

marc
SGP

pirata12
04-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Although I haven't touched a model in over a year (time constraints), I had an interesting experience with a friend. He is a draughtsman, and took a look at the model plans that come with each kit. He put them down and said he could never understand them. They look too complex! So hats off to all the modellers here. And as for the kid with the comments, slap him around the ears till he sees the error of his ways...

godfather23
04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I´m just happy to have something childish in me...still I believe that this hobby is beyond childrens abilities and craftsmanship. I never mind people bashing what I´m doing - most of the time they just don´t understand what makes us guys do what we want to do.

Everybody keep on being childish!

Robert

Add your comment to this topic!