Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

To Self Ventilate or Vent Outside

Sixx
04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
First of all, I've had some computer problems and haven't been able to log on, so it's Good to be back~

I've got alot of catching up to do.

I am thinking about buying a pre-made spray booth, I'm looking at the Artograph 1530 or possibly a Passache booth.

I like the fact that the Artograph booth is self contained and does not require ventilation, but also leaves the option to ventilate if I choose to.

I don't know too much about the Passache booth.

I do have a homeade spray booth in my garage that I showed you guys pictures of and looked for advice in keeping dust and hair off my paints. Of course you came through as usual and gave me great ideas.

Well, that booth will still work for other parts of my builds, but for the actual body paint work I've moved to a bathroom in the house and am looking to use a pre-made metal spray booth in there. I think the garage is too big of an area to try to contain dust and contaminents from landing on the car.

I do know from my spray booth that I made, I need a bigger fan to clear the air quicker. I normally shoot, Laquer basecoats with Urethane clear coats and those urethane fumes are a bitch. Yes, i'm using a high quality 3M respirator :grinyes:

What are your recommendations for a good quality booth?

Also, I read a recent article in Scale Auto by Dave Thibodeau about sanding Urethane clears. I haven't been that brave yet and need some advice on tips and tricks to do it RIGHT

Good to be back

rsxse240
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry I can't be of any real help, but I'd have to say of the two booths you present, I'd think they are both quality booths, however, using urethane and lacquer paints, I'd definitely vent out doors.

Welcome back to modelling, and I'd love to see some work.

JimboCO
04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Yes, vent outdoors for sure.
I have the 1530 and there is no way it "self-ventilates".
Trust me on this one.
I shoot laquers, urethanes, Tamiya TS "synthetic" laquers, acrylics, the works, through the 1530 and was actually a bit disappointed with how it performed.
I keep another window open for cross ventilation.
I like the 1530 better than my previous homemade and Badger set-ups but it will in no way eliminate odor or the need for a respirator. At least as ar as I am concerned.
Jim

Sixx
04-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I wondered about the quality of air flow they both suction out! I am currently using a bathroom fan in my spray booth but it just doesn't pull enough of the fumes out for me.

Doing alot of spraying makes me wonder if I need one of three types of fans:

1: spark free fan
2: Totally enclosed fan cooled
3: Explosion proof fan

I haven't had a problem so far, though I am using a filter in front of the bathroom fan to trapped some spray and over spray.

stevenoble
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
This is the unit that I use.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/stevenoble/IMGP4225.jpg

It has plenty of power (suction) spark free enclosed motor etc and a separate pipe (the coiled grey one) which you pop out of a small window that vents away the fumes.The filter at the back traps all the nasty stuff in the paint and the 'cleaned' air then vents through to the outside.
It really was the best thing I ever bought and I can't believe I used to spray without it.The work bench is much more pleasant now I have this.I spray the Zero basecoats, automotive lacquers, Tamiya TS sprays and Zero 2K with virtually no smell or fumes escaping.The filters can be replaced and last me about 3-4 months.

JimboCO
04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Steve,
What model/make is your spray booth?
Jim

stevenoble
04-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Steve,
What model/make is your spray booth?
Jim

Hi Jim,

It's the GraphicAir A300S-D available from GraphicAir in the spray booths section.

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/

Best regards,

Steve.

Add your comment to this topic!