Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Decals: improve adhesion

daniel_k
04-23-2008, 09:56 AM
hello,

i'm currentyl building the Toyota GT-one and it has those large decals on the windscreen. On my first try applying the decals they came loos on the windscreen edges.

No I managed to get me a replcement decalsheet and wanted to know if their is a way to improve the adhesion of the decals on clear parts.

I usually clearcoat all my decals but don't have the courage to clearcoat over clear parts... I will try microsol/set but wanted to know if there is a way to make the decals stick really hard....maybe thinned PVA glue (woodglue)

thanks for any help

daniel
-germany-

Spike2933
04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Solvaset is very good, it makes them snug so good that its almost like a painted look

daniel_k
04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
ok, thanks will look for that stuff, most important is that the decals stick like "hell" to the clear part :-)

daniel
-germany-

hiergehts
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Daniel,

One thing I've done is to mix a small amount of white glue in the water I use to release the decals. I've found this helps decals not curl on the edge so much as well as stick better in general.

Any excess glue residue/film can be carefully wiped off with warm water and a cotton swab (Q-tip) once the decal is completely dry.

HTH

Andrew

Add your comment to this topic!