Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Park Ave Hard Start

Pawll
04-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi! I have a 1991 Park Avenue that takes about ten tries to start, but once it starts it runs great. It cranks over really good, so I don't think it has anything to do with the starter. Something just isn't allowing it to start regularly. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

HotZ28
04-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Welcome to AF! A lot of possibilities here, but typically this is either a “cold” spark, fuel pressure, or supply problem. Is the long start only when the engine is cold, or all the time? You can buy spark testers at about any auto parts store for testing spark. You are looking for a crisp blue spark. If the spark is a pale yellow, you have coil or wire problems. Fuel pressure should be 42-48 when starting. FP can be checked with a fuel pressure gage on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, or fuel pressure regulator, wherever it is located on your particular engine. Check these first and let us know what you find.

Pawll
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Thank you very much for your quick response and in depth information. I really appreciate it!

Yes, after it has been running it starts up a lot easier. If I try to start it again within an hour or so of it running, it will usually start up on the first, second or third try. But first thing in the morning, or after it has been sitting for a long time, it takes 10 or more tries before it starts. Does this help narrow down the problem?

Also, I guess it is a 1989 PA. Not a 1991 as I thought.

Thank you so much!

Pawll
05-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, it had good spark and good fuel pressure. The repeated starting attempts ended up destroying the starter. After that I called a salvage yard and got 170 bucks for it. I was sad to see it go :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!