Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Ford Ranger code P0302

FetidSirDidymus
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected.
Miles: 127,389
Last Oil Change: 2/20/08
Recently added Rislone

First of all i'm fairly newbish with cars. Now that that's out of the way a little history. At the end of last year my car started having problems idling in the mornings. Would come to a stop and car would die unless I rev'd up the engine or at startup, in nuetral, if I'd rev then let off my car would shudder and die. I took the car in and they replaced the Idle control motor and no codes showed up 8/14/07. Everything was ok. I can't find the receipt, but about a month prior to this I had my 120k maintenance where they replaced the wire, plugs etc...

Fastforward a few month's. My car is dieing in the mornings again. Almost seems like the same problem. 3/27/08 code P0302 comes up and autoshop figures when its cold the valve or lifter is sticking causing the misfire and dieing. They say they need to pull the head and give a valve job and that it will cost alot of $$$. My car isn't worth much so I pass and just warm my car up for 15mins in the morning and everything is fine. Someone recently suggested I use Rislone engine treatment so I added it a few days ago and I actually notice an improvement.

Now, I need a smog check and I will fail because of the code(P0302) and need any suggestions of what to do next.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

FetidSirDidymus
04-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I left out that its a 2.5L v4, manual 2wd.

Johnny Mullet
04-21-2008, 07:45 PM
The cylinder is misfiring on #2 according to the code.

Step #1 - Check for spark
Step #2 - Check compression in that cylinder
Step #3 - Post the results here.

FetidSirDidymus
04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
What is a simple way to check for spark? I've done some research and found a few things but nothing I can confidently use.

Have tried getting in contact with a few "friend of friend" contacts who work in auto-repair but to no avail.

Should I just take my car to a shop and ask them to check for spark and compression?

Thanks for any input.

Johnny Mullet
04-29-2008, 05:44 AM
If you don't know how to do it, have someone who knows check it out before you get zapped :)

Jdunham
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
We used to pul the plug out of the block but leave the wire attached. if you lay thethreads on the block and have someone turn the engine over, you should be able to see the spark.

jcevans79
12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a 2002 ranger that had the same problem and it was the coil pack.

manlystanley
12-23-2008, 11:48 AM
If they replaced your plugs and wires, isn't possible: that a plug itselfs is defective, the gap is wrong, or the wire has someting wrong with it??

Thanks,
Stan

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected.
Miles: 127,389
Last Oil Change: 2/20/08
Recently added Rislone

First of all i'm fairly newbish with cars. Now that that's out of the way a little history. At the end of last year my car started having problems idling in the mornings. Would come to a stop and car would die unless I rev'd up the engine or at startup, in nuetral, if I'd rev then let off my car would shudder and die. I took the car in and they replaced the Idle control motor and no codes showed up 8/14/07. Everything was ok. I can't find the receipt, but about a month prior to this I had my 120k maintenance where they replaced the wire, plugs etc...

Fastforward a few month's. My car is dieing in the mornings again. Almost seems like the same problem. 3/27/08 code P0302 comes up and autoshop figures when its cold the valve or lifter is sticking causing the misfire and dieing. They say they need to pull the head and give a valve job and that it will cost alot of $$$. My car isn't worth much so I pass and just warm my car up for 15mins in the morning and everything is fine. Someone recently suggested I use Rislone engine treatment so I added it a few days ago and I actually notice an improvement.

Now, I need a smog check and I will fail because of the code(P0302) and need any suggestions of what to do next.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

AutomotiveTech
12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
There are many things that can cause this code. The most likely causes are tune up related things. Like spark plugs and wires, etc. Since you have had this done recently, I would think that it is not the problem...UNLESS they didn't get one of the wires seated all the way on the plug or something.
You can try switching two of the wires (Put one of the same length wires on the number two cylinder, then put the #2 wire on the cylinder that you removed the wire from). This will tell you if it is the wire.
You also might want to try to swap the #2 fuel injector with another to see if the misfire follows the injector.
Another easy test is a compression test. It is quite possible that you have low compression on the #2 cylinder.

After you do these tests you should be a lot closer to figuring out what the problem is. Whatever it is it is something that is isolated to that cylinder.

You can read more about misfire problems here:

http://www.myautorepairadvice.com/p0301.html

ldrotos
03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I would examine vacuum line on engine for breaks/cracks since plugs wires replaced, place a fuel injector cleaned in the tank, if that doesn't correct the problem, spray carburator cleaner around the intake pluem and listen for a change in engine speed, if so the intake manifold qasket must be replaced. Check fuel pressure with gauge and hook gauge up to schrader valve on fuel, turn key to on position but donot start pump should indicate pressure reading on face of gauge., consult manual or contact service manager and ask for normal reading, check air filter and fuel filter, long place screw driver on #2 cylinder injector and should feel injection pulsing, next compression or cylinder leak down test. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with 98,600 miles two week ago I resolved a PO301 cylinder# 1 misfire and the final cause coil pack.
Louis Drotos

Add your comment to this topic!