Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ball joints .. anybody done their balljoints?

DangerDude
04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Dear readers and knuckle busters, I am looking at lower front balljoint replacement on my '99 Chevy Prizm. The Helm book says the steering knuckle must come off to replace the lower ball joint. Now this, to ME, seems like a lot of work. Is this necessary?? Is this book written for the flat rate crowd in the back room at dealerships? Never heard of removing the steering knuckle to chage a ball joint before. So I'm asking if anybody had done this job yet. Only reason I can guess to pull the knuckle is for (maybe) clearance for nut removal. Still not sure why a pickle fork and BFH wouldn't do it? Anyway ... any advice is appreciated. Please bear in mind I haven't done the job yet ..
so the reason may be self evident pretty quickly once the job get's started. I find these forums very very helpful so if nobody jumps in here after a while I may be writing back with my own answer. Until then don't push on a wrench unless your wearing gloves!
DangerDude, the guy who yells "Ouch! ... yaaaaa"

rockwood84
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
its a lot easier to take the knuckle off but it can be replaced without removing the knuckle. there are three bolts holding the ball joint to the control arm and once these are loose and out the ball joint will push out of the control arm . then just loosen the nut on the ball joint and pop it out . reverse everything to put it back together.

DangerDude
06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks a bunch Rockwood84 .. sounds like I oughta be able to change 'em out the way you stated it in your message. Sometime this summer .. maybe in a month or so. Of course it may be the struts .. replacing those holds no mystery anymore. I didn't think anybody read these Prizm posts ... Other forums are much busier than this one. Maybe the Prizm just doesn't have the problems other cars do .. lets hope! Thanks again .. DangerDude

Add your comment to this topic!