Trans Filter Seal - Nightmare, Help? 4L60/700R4

Ol'Jim
04-20-2008, 03:24 PM
After teaching my son for years to be patient and use logic when working on cars, I am trying hard to not lose my cool.
Simple trans fluid/filter change has been the most frustrating episode I've had in years, (and I get my share of them!).
Got past my disgust at GM Engineering, the bozo's who designed a truck so you have to drop a cross-member to simply service your trans - cannot remove pan without doing so. (And I am a GM die-hard, their superior engineering and ease of service/repair is what converted me from Fords & Mopars at a VERY young age).
Now the real issue - pulled off old filter, gotta get the old rubber sealing ring out of the trans case. They usually pull out with the filter, or simply by sticking a fingertip in there and tugging. This one won't budge. I've seen them rock-hard, where you can stick a screwdriver in there and break them, but this one is still somnewhat soft/pliable. Cannot remove it! Also cannot get a screwdriver in there at the necessary angle to pry, because this trans (4L60E) has 2 solenoids next to opening, one on each side. Valve body to rear, and exhaust crossover to front. Tried an Allen wrench, couple other levers, only succeeded in damaging the ID of the seal, so now I can not leave it in there. Tried driving small pick along the OD, and this thing has a STEEL outer band around it! Opened the new Wix filter box, and it has same type in there. No idea HOW you pull these out! Anyone got any ideas, or experience with this? It looks like this thing is supposed to be permanent. Can't imagine there is a special puller for removing them... At this point, I am gonna go wrench on the race car, as I am totally frustrated and out of ideas on the truck.
Please share your thoughts, so I don't have to leave this thing sitting outside, in the Kansas 40 MPH dust bowl wind, with no pan on it.
(Actually, I think I will put the pan on to keep things clean, and hope I hear from somebody soon).
THANKS in advance for any help you can provide. -Jim.

Zacm1
04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I jsut changed mine and I used a metal dental pick(Straight and pointed on one side and 90 deg bend on other end). It worked like a champ. I bought mine at an auto parts store. Hope this helps.

Zacm1

After teaching my son for years to be patient and use logic when working on cars, I am trying hard to not lose my cool.
Simple trans fluid/filter change has been the most frustrating episode I've had in years, (and I get my share of them!).
Got past my disgust at GM Engineering, the bozo's who designed a truck so you have to drop a cross-member to simply service your trans - cannot remove pan without doing so. (And I am a GM die-hard, their superior engineering and ease of service/repair is what converted me from Fords & Mopars at a VERY young age).
Now the real issue - pulled off old filter, gotta get the old rubber sealing ring out of the trans case. They usually pull out with the filter, or simply by sticking a fingertip in there and tugging. This one won't budge. I've seen them rock-hard, where you can stick a screwdriver in there and break them, but this one is still somnewhat soft/pliable. Cannot remove it! Also cannot get a screwdriver in there at the necessary angle to pry, because this trans (4L60E) has 2 solenoids next to opening, one on each side. Valve body to rear, and exhaust crossover to front. Tried an Allen wrench, couple other levers, only succeeded in damaging the ID of the seal, so now I can not leave it in there. Tried driving small pick along the OD, and this thing has a STEEL outer band around it! Opened the new Wix filter box, and it has same type in there. No idea HOW you pull these out! Anyone got any ideas, or experience with this? It looks like this thing is supposed to be permanent. Can't imagine there is a special puller for removing them... At this point, I am gonna go wrench on the race car, as I am totally frustrated and out of ideas on the truck.
Please share your thoughts, so I don't have to leave this thing sitting outside, in the Kansas 40 MPH dust bowl wind, with no pan on it.
(Actually, I think I will put the pan on to keep things clean, and hope I hear from somebody soon).

wafrederick
04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Leave it in if it holds the filter in place still.I never had a problem with the old one.

j cAT
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM

use a allen wrench with vice grips on hand end and try to pull down evenly on circumference ..

if this does nothing just leave the old one in......

Ol'Jim
04-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I tried the metal "pick", and the allen wrench trick, (straightened both of them out, even a stainless steel hook tool I bought today). Those methods always worked on the plain rubber/plastic seals, but this new metal type is impossible to remove, It even has a tapered metal shell that is thin, but very hard, (I tried squeezing the new one, and could not distort it). That POS is in there, and I went ahead and shoved the new filter in it, figured wtf, I can change filter again in a few weeks to get the rest of the old fluid out, and try some other ideas. (Thinking slide hammer, lol). I am worried that it is so mangled it's gonna be sucking air, along with ATF, and that may cause problems down the road... Especially when I tow with it.
Any other ideas would be welcome, and thanks guys!

Add your comment to this topic!