Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car turns one and dies at low rpm

dpj52190
04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Few day's ago when i was in college, i turned on my car and it turned on. The Rpm went all the way upto 2 but then usually it stops at 1.2 rpm but this time it didn't it went to about 0.5 rpm but the engine was still running. Today it was about 60 degrees C here a bit cold. The same procedure but instead of rpm stopping at 1.2, it went all the way down and the car turned off. Repeated the same thing twice but still turned off. So 3rd time, i pressed the gas pedal and offcouse it worked.

Car specs: 1994 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder, sedan

So my question is what do you think is the problem. The only unusual thing that i've done with my car is that i don't top off my tank since gas is expensive. I fill up about 9 gallons every time.

Thanks in advance....any help is appreciated:wink: :wink:

ALSO THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM IN MY CAR>....thought i would ask in this post instead of making a new one....

My Engine Temperature gauge is acting little weird since few weeks.
The gauge is suppose to stay in the middle at regular driving. But mine acctually goes about 3/10 of the way up and goes back to the middle just in about 2~3 seconds. It usually does this for the whole trip ~ 15 miles everyday.

Any suggestions. I've read on the forums that the temperature sensor somewhere around the bottom of the radiator is gone bad. Does this sound like a serious problem. I've put lots of money into this car and don't want to spend anymore.

RIP
04-20-2008, 02:23 AM
First thing comes to mind is a clogged Idle Air Control (IAC) valve port in the throttle body. The fix - Remove the big air duct where it connects to the throttle body and spray throttle body cleaner at the port and throttle plate area. Clean it thoroughly.

Second - EGR valve is stuck open. Clean and lube the shaft in the valve.

Third - Your temperature sensor is causing the whole mess. You start the car, the sensor reads a false high temp, the engine goes into closed loop mode too quick, timing and fuel sequencing go out to lunch, your engine dies. A theory. That's why it's third.

Are you seeing a Check Engine light after the car starts?

Funny thing. My daughter has the identicle car at college and yes, I've put big bucks into it lately. You are not alone. I'm looking at another $200 for a new neutral safety switch in the near future.

dpj52190
04-20-2008, 02:44 AM
the check engine light stays on for few seconds( like in regular cars) and goes away. I'm guessing since this car is old and not well maintained ..most of the sensors died ...
thanks for the advices. I will try those ideas after few weeks probably after the exams so i can see if the problem stays the same or gets worst/ better.

jdmccright
04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I've had the jumpy temp needle too along with rough idle. New plugs and a SeaFoam treatment helped considerably.

jburgess56
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
My 1994 2.2 4 cyl. Camry did the same thing and it turned out to be the coolant sensor. As the car warmed up the resistance on the sensor would drop, but when it neared 500ohms it would open up for a couple of seconds and the computer would go into closed loop and assume the car was already warm and change the air fuel mixture and flood the car and it would die. Once warmed up it ran fine. I actually removed the sensor and would put it in hot warm and I used a fluke volt ohm meter to measure and that is how I figured out the problem. 20 dollar sensor at Autozone....hope this helps....

jdmccright
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
I tested my coolant temp sensor as well when it was happening and it was within specs. Since I did a Seafoam treatment, the jumpy needle syndrome has not recurred.

dpj52190
05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
thanks everyone ..for helping me out ..i will look forward to doing all of those things ....if my problem gets worst....thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!