Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 Celica ST

catesja
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I am looking into a Celica ST, well one I rebuilt the engine in a few years back. It is now for sale, and I am trying to figure out the Tranny that is in it. I beieve there were the E52 and E53. Manual tranny bolted to the 3S-FE. It needs a new tranny, and an extra will come with the car, but the owner says it looks different then the one in the car. It supposedly came from an '88 GTS? but not sure. What other manual tranny will be a direct bolt replacement for what I have? If I have to change the clutch slave or any of that bolt on stuff, that is easy. But no half-shaft swaps or anything. Trying to make it work as cheap as I can, and getting a used tranny for $300 is an option but if the extra that is available would work, then that is what I would like to do.

pogoism9
06-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I would imagine the trans would bolt up, as both engines are 3S engines. As far as axles go, you may have to get a pair of GTS axles, and the shift linkage should match up as well.

I could be wrong though. I haven't messed with a celica older than 2001 in over 8 years.

Add your comment to this topic!