Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camshaft bolt...AHH!

projectgsr
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Ok, this is pathetic. I have done an engine swap in my back yard before but for some reason I am having more trouble just trying to remove my cylinder head than anything else I have done on my teg. Ok, so anyways I cannot get those damn camshaft bolts off, for the life of me. Originally I did not want to go out and purchase an air compressor, so I went with what somebody online recommended and placed my 5 mm punch through the camshaft holder and the hole in the cam to keep the cam from rotating while I removed the bolt. With a bit of muscle that removed my intake cam bolt all while bending the crap out of the punch. But here's where it gets ugly. When trying to remove my exhaust cam I broke the damn punch off into my cam. Hopefully I'll be able to extract that piece once I get the damn sprockets/gears off (if I ever get that far).

Next step; I go out and buy a 10 gal air compressor from walmart with a 3/8 " hose, an air wrench from harbor frieghts and obviously some air sockets. The compressor is supposed to have 125 psi and the wrench is supposed to be able to support something like 240 pounds. Anyways, when I try to knock loose the bolt the wrench has like no balls whatsoever. Its sooo weak I can't imagine if it could even remove anything besides a hand tightened bolt, let alone a cam bolt.

Please....somebody help. Why is this job becoming so hard for somebody who is at least somewhat tech savvy? More specifically how big of an air compressor and how much psi will I require to remove the bolt out of a b18c GSR head? Sears has a 33 gal craftsman tank on sale for $290 right now, which i'm considering buying. Thanks in advance.

slideways...
04-20-2008, 04:14 PM
dude in all seriousness, you need a two stage compressor to get any serious power from an impact wrench. no $300 crapsman air tank will make much of a difference. there is a tool that locks DOHC cam gears together so you can service the timing components without messing up the valve timing. mac/snapon/matco sell it, so does probably a few other companies. it should run you less than 100 bucks.

wiseguy01
04-20-2008, 04:20 PM
the airwrench should have an adjuster on it make sure you set it right something like 1-10 you might have it on like 3 or something like that

projectgsr
04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the response, but actually on Friday I went out and spent over $300 for that compressor and combined with the Craftsman air wrench that they include, it was enough to knock that damn bolt loose. But I wish that you would have responded earlier because I definitely would have went out and bought that special tool, if your saying it's only about a bill. It's cool though, I was in a rush to get it off so that I can get my car running again :) And now I have something that I can use to work on my car 10x faster than using a ratchet.

jclark
04-23-2008, 08:10 AM
A bigger compressor is not the answer.
Your wrench is probably rated at 90 psi, you can usually
go a little more, but if you have enough psi, the wrench
is only going to do the max it can.
BUT!!!
They are usually air starved for CFM's.
The std 1/4" fitting everyone uses are not big enough to
supply enough CFM.
The opening in the female quick disconnects are only about 1/8" dia.
That's the restriction that cuts it down. The hose is much bigger.
I got 3/8" fittings in a kit at Home Depot for $10.00
I noticed a big difference when I switched to bigger fittings.
But for really stubborn bolts, a pipe and strong arm still will do more.:)

projectgsr
04-23-2008, 03:27 PM
But for really stubborn bolts, a pipe and strong arm still will do more.:)

Thanks for all the advise but with the case of the camshaft bolt it is not about brute strength because the cams will rotate. If that were the case I would have no problem :) I also understand the thing about cfm's and air restriction but when I upgraded to the Craftsman 33 gal, I used the same diameter of hose and fittings, yet the Craftsman knocked the bolt loose effortlessly.

Add your comment to this topic!