I think it is my HEATER CORE..what do you think???

bowserk
04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
OK I am pretty sure it is my heater core but I would like a couple opinions without haveing to take it in . . . .
My car is a 2000 Mistubishi Eclipse 4cyl.
'Symptoms':
*My heat only works when I am driving and only after driving for at least 15 mins, and I can smell coolant when it is going
*Cliking and banging in my dash board at times
*My main Radiator hose poped off recently
*Today I got a hole in my overflow tank
*My tempeture gage goes to HOT but most of the time when I turn the heater on it is cold air

So please tell me what you think!!! PLease please please . . . .:banghead:

Blackcrow64
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Could be the heater core, but before jumping to any conclusions you should check a few things out... First check out the lines under the hood and follow them from your heater core in and out back to where they come from. There is a good chance that you had a control valve go bad that controls the flow of the coolant to the heater core. (Not 100% sure if the 2000+ Eclipse is setup like this too, but I have come across a few vehicles that did.) That would be a little easier to replace than the heater core if it is indeed your problem. Next I would check out your thermostat. You said your main radiator hose popped off recently, I'm assuming due to too much pressure from the thermostat not opening properly... Actually, now that I think about it, my old Firebird did the same thing when the thermostat went bad... I am definitely leaning more towards that being the problem. It's at least worth a shot since they are dirt cheap to buy. Should be fairly quick to change also.

Let us know how those things work out and if you still have the problem afterwards.

Sleepr awd
04-18-2008, 09:46 PM
thermostat
flush system
heater core

Try that in that order. If you smell coolant when the car is running the heat, it could very likely be that in addition to one of these problems.

kplusten
04-23-2008, 11:54 AM
If your heater hose popped off, it wasn't tightened enough and has probably been leaking under pressure. Wash off the spilled anti-freeze as it takes forever to stop smelling and entering thru the vent system. Yes, thermostat is probably sticking...as far as overheating, remember that under less pressure (with a leak) the mixture will boil at a lower temp. Had same problem on 2000 RS, resolved by changing thermostat and top radiator hose.

Add your comment to this topic!