Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Odyssey fuel gauge

homersworld25
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Is it just me or do the fuel gauges read inaccurately? I have a 2004 and the low fuel light comes on and when I fill up I still have 5-6 gallons left. I thought the light was supposed to come on when there were 2-3 gallons. It is a 20 gallon tank, right?

Greenblurr93
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
If you look in your owners manual it will tell you the capacity of the fuel tank.

homersworld25
04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
It is a 20 gallon tank, so why is the fuel light coming on when there are still 5-6 gallons of fuel left and the needle is on the empty line?

Greenblurr93
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
sending unit could be outta wack

dencan
04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
We have exactly the same issue with our 2004 Odyssey. I called the dealership and they said it is a design issue with the minivan. In order to leave room for the third row to collapse into the floor, they had to have a very shallow fuel tank which causes the low fuel light to go on long before you really need gas. I am not sure how true this is, but they were well aware of the problem. Hope this helps or at least lets you know that it is a common complaint.

Odysseyunhappy
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm having the same problem. The dealership first agreed that it was a problem, and (supposedly) replaced the sending unit. When it continued to read dead empty with 5 gallons left in the tank, they turned around and said it was functioning perfectly, and within Honda specifications. The Customer Satisfaction person took the same party line, and I'm having trouble finding any contact numbers above that level. Any ideas?

Dr. Blues
01-22-2014, 10:27 AM
I just bought a 2004 Odyssey EX-L, and I have noticed that the gas tank reads empty when there are still about 5 gallons in the tank. It sounds like this is a design flaw. Glad to know this, I won't bother taking it back to the dealer where I bought it used. It seems to get about 16 miles per gallon during the couple of tankfuls I have put in so far. I plan to simply watch the trip odometer to estimate when the gas is low. It should be about 320 miles per tankful, so I plan to refill each time it starts approaching 300.

BrianP
12-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I just bought a 2004 Odyssey EX-L, and I have noticed that the gas tank reads empty when there are still about 5 gallons in the tank. It sounds like this is a design flaw. Glad to know this, I won't bother taking it back to the dealer where I bought it used. It seems to get about 16 miles per gallon during the couple of tankfuls I have put in so far. I plan to simply watch the trip odometer to estimate when the gas is low. It should be about 320 miles per tankful, so I plan to refill each time it starts approaching 300.

Exact same problem with my 2010. Must be fairly common.

Add your comment to this topic!