Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 305 High Idle Now Wont Start

extramile
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
My 1990 wouldnt come off high idle so bad that when u put it in gear it would stall and before this condition it was running slugish. Now, I towed it home it wont start at all. No spark at plugs so pulled distributor and it was corroded terribly, replaced it and the rotor and turned motor over to make sure timing chain was ok. Thought I had the problem but still no start, have spark from coil to distributor cap but not onwards. Replaced ignition control module still nothing. Checked voltage to module and it is good. Cant figure this one out.

extramile
04-16-2008, 09:44 PM
UPDATE: I finally got it started today after I unplugged my temp sensing switch ( the one beside the thermostat) it took some doing but is started. Once it was going it ran like a top for about a mile and a half then when I took off from a stop sign it stalled again. Only way to get it going was to hold it to the floor then it was running rough and when it would accelerate it would blow black smoke. Had to tow it again cuz when u tried to put it in gear it would stall. The motor started dieseling the after several times of restarting the engine it was like it locked up. Once I towed it homei could get is started if I hold it to the floor but it would diesel. I should also mention once I put the new distributor cap on I had good spark and still do. Now I'm going to check my timing at TDC and go from there, any help would be appreciated.

J-Ri
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
You said you unplugged the ECT sensor, but did you replace it after determining it was to reason for the no-start? I would replace it before testing/replacing anything else.

toivo
04-19-2008, 01:06 PM
also check your oil level to see if it didn't dump a lot of gas into your oilpan. you may have to change sparkplugs if it flooded, also. if you have access to a scanner make sure your oxygen sensor is working properly. i also agree, replace the coolant sensor. toivo

Add your comment to this topic!