Pcm?ecu?

jessiebighamKC
04-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Quick question is the PCM the same as the ECU? Im still having random misfires and I was thinking about just buying the DHP PCM 1.0v. But didnt know if it was the same as the ECU.

GTP Dad
04-16-2008, 06:56 AM
The answer is yes. If you are having random misfires then you need to check for problems within the ignition system itself rather than the PCM. Misfires are usually caused by bad wires, injectors, coils, ignition module or plugs. It can be due to fuel starvation, MAF sensor issues as well. The PCM controls the entire system but will not cause misfires. I suggest you look at the other areas regarding the misfires before doing anything with the PCM although the DHP PCM will increase performance.

jessiebighamKC
04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah! Ive posted a thread about that awhile back! Ive replaced the IGNITION CONTROL MODULE because it was bad. I replaced all the IGNITION COIL PACKS because one of them was bad so I decided to replace them all. Ive replaced SPARK PLUGS and SPARK PLUG WIRES. I took it to the electrical shop and have had the WIRING re-wired or re-done. Ive replaced TPS,IAC VALVE,and have cleaned the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR and SCREEN. Ive replaced the FUEL FILTER. Ive replaced all VACUUM HOSES. Ive checked the FUEL INJECTORS. Eveything is fine and great! Only thing left is the PCM! So, I just wanted to make sure the PCM and ECU was the same thing! Thanks for answering my question.

tblake
04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
What year and model is your car?

ECM = Electronic Control Module (prior 1995 computer, OBD1)

PCM = Powertrain Control Module (1995 and newer, OBD2)

jessiebighamKC
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Its a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Add your comment to this topic!