Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Civic Transmission Issue

joeg2246
04-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I have a 96 Civic DX AT that acts as if the transmission stalls and then catches back up to itself.
It happens when you slow down say for a speed bump or something. Once you start to accelerate the engine will rev slightly with no response from the engine then all of the sudden the transmission will lock and it will resume its push forward.
Have anyone of you seen this and if so what was the resolution?
Joe
PS: The car just rolled 150K

I have noticed I am not getting to many inputs on my problem. Have I not worded or explained something well enough. Please let me know I certainly could use some help. Some ideas would be great or a simple troubleshooting plan.

Thanks,
Joe

ajcoyote
04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Same thing happened to me, I have the same car, I figured out it was my transmission fluid. Take it the shop and get your transmission fluid replaced if you don't know how to do it yourself.

joeg2246
04-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Same thing happened to me, I have the same car, I figured out it was my transmission fluid. Take it the shop and get your transmission fluid replaced if you don't know how to do it yourself.

I am going to do that for sure. However the check engine light was on and the code indicated I needed to replace the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. I did that and the pulled the reset fuse for about 30 seconds. Check engine light is gone and the transmission is shifting as normal as could be. I am thinking the fuel and air mixture may have been so screwed up that the transmission was getting mixed signals. I am pretty sure the same computer that controls the fuel also controls the transmission. Either way it is running like a champ right now. I am going to change the fluid here shortly. I have heard to only use HONDA AT fluid. Is there any truth to that?
Joe

ajcoyote
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah its a good idea to change it after about 150 k anyways even if that wasn't the problem, thats usually when your supposed to change it. The fluid I used wasn't honda, but it was made for all honda vehicles, amongst others...I was told it would work fine. I would look in your manual for the right type...I lost mine, I didn't want to go through the trouble of looking for a specific fluid...so I just got that. probably not the best idea so I would look through your manual.

wiseguy01
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I am going to do that for sure. However the check engine light was on and the code indicated I needed to replace the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. I did that and the pulled the reset fuse for about 30 seconds. Check engine light is gone and the transmission is shifting as normal as could be. I am thinking the fuel and air mixture may have been so screwed up that the transmission was getting mixed signals. I am pretty sure the same computer that controls the fuel also controls the transmission. Either way it is running like a champ right now. I am going to change the fluid here shortly. I have heard to only use HONDA AT fluid. Is there any truth to that?
Joe

the same computer that controls the engine does not control the trans there is a ecm=engine and there is a tcm=transmission the abreviations are self explanatory and it is wiser to use honda z-1 fluid it has special conditioners designed for the honda trans

l-j-123
11-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Guys, ... I am running through the same situation with my honda civic lx 97 model, ... I was told it was the turine on the transmision, ... do not know how that exactly works but is something about pumping pressure to the tranny, .... I am looking forward to remove the tranny this weekend, ... any one can help, ....

l-j-123
11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry, ... I meant the turbine, ....

fakehatch
12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
The exact same thing is happening on my 96 civic dx hatch. I plan to change the tranny fluid and ride it out, my civic has 215,000 miles.

Meanwhile, I just try to feather the accelerator to minimize this as much as I can.

l-j-123
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Good Luck!!!! ..... I am currently working on the car, ... did not do very much this weekend, but I am hoping this upcoming I can take the tranny out, ...

dezso3
03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
My 1996 Civic with an automatic transmission just got two major tune-ups: the radiator was replaced after mechanics discovered that it was corroded and the car was leaking transmission fluid, causing severe jerking movements. Also, when I hit the gas, there was a split-second delay in acceleration. After I drove into a six-inch puddle during a rainstorm recently, 3 out of 4 of the cylinders shut down, and the check engine light inevitably came on, so I took the car to a mechanic once again, where they replaced the generator and all of the spark plugs. After that, when I hit the gas, there as practically no delay in the acceleration, and the car ran much more smoothly in general. So then what exactly was causing the delay in acceleration?

Add your comment to this topic!