Difficulty Replacing Lifter 3.8?

pgpgsr
04-15-2008, 06:25 AM
2000 Grand Prix 3.8.

We have a tapping lifter in my Daughters' car.

Does anyone have a detailed procedure for finding the bad lifter and how to replace it?

tblake
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
no, I dont, but you can get a whole set at zzperformance.com for probably a lot less than anywhere else.

rkvons
04-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Just curious, but what is the history on the car? Was it purchased recently and was ticking? Has the oil been changed religiously? You might want to change the oil and substitute a quart of Rizlone and see if that helps. I did a lower intake manifold (LIM) change last year on a 3400. In order to get the LIM gasket off, you have to remove the push rods. You are basically staring down at the guts of the engine at this point. I found out later that I could have removed a retainer of some kind down at the bottom of the engine "valley" and could have removed the lifters. I may be over symplifying it and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you would have to do the dissassembly involved with a LIM replacement and then dive deeper, removing that retainer and the lifters. Finding the ticking one would have to be done with a stethiscope sorta thing while the engine was running, but if your going in that deep, just replace them all. I don't really know if there is a special procedure for filling them with oil somehow before putting them in. And them how do you adjust the lifters? Try the Rizlone and hope it works.

pgpgsr
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Just curious, but what is the history on the car? Was it purchased recently and was ticking? Has the oil been changed religiously? You might want to change the oil and substitute a quart of Rizlone and see if that helps. I did a lower intake manifold (LIM) change last year on a 3400. In order to get the LIM gasket off, you have to remove the push rods. You are basically staring down at the guts of the engine at this point. I found out later that I could have removed a retainer of some kind down at the bottom of the engine "valley" and could have removed the lifters. I may be over symplifying it and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you would have to do the dissassembly involved with a LIM replacement and then dive deeper, removing that retainer and the lifters. Finding the ticking one would have to be done with a stethiscope sorta thing while the engine was running, but if your going in that deep, just replace them all. I don't really know if there is a special procedure for filling them with oil somehow before putting them in. And them how do you adjust the lifters? Try the Rizlone and hope it works.

The car was bought 3 weeks ago from a local dealer. When we originally looked at the car it was ticking. The dealer said that they would replace the lifter. When we went back in 2 days to get the car it was quiet and they said that they replaced the lifter. After 2 days the noise was back. Changed the oil and added a quart of STP. Found that this was the wrong way to go. Took the car back to the dealer and found that all that they had done is change the oil and added a qt of Marvel Mystery Oil. They wanted $500.00 to replace the lifter. Yhis car was sold "as-is" with no waranty. We changed the oil again and added a qt of MMO. It got somewhat quiter for a day or so, now it's noisey again. It is coming from the rear bank and I do have an automotive stethescope.

I just was wondering if it is as simple as removing the rear valve cover, rocker arm, push rod, and grab the lifter?

troy1
04-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I would call your states attorny and find out what your legal rights are. They said the would replace the lifter NOT cover it up.

Mickey#1
04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I just was wondering if it is as simple as removing the rear valve cover, rocker arm, push rod, and grab the lifter?

Nope - It's as rkvons said, the upper & lower intake have to come off. These engines are known for the lower intake gasket failing so it's good preventative maintenance anyway. Whether you do the work yourself or have it done get rid of the Dex-cool & use the metal framed lower intake gasket.

BNaylor
04-16-2008, 05:00 AM
On these type posts it is recommended to post your mileage. Also, was this a GM dealer?

One thing you can do before a UIM/LIM teardown is check the lifter preload after removing the valve cover. Of course you'll need a new gasket and bolt grommets if you do this. Rocker arm torque is initially 11 ft-lbs first pass plus an additional 90 degrees on the second pass. The extra 90 degrees is normally done with a torque angle meter or gauge. Also, inspect the valvetrain parts that are visible like rocker arms and pushrods.

pgpgsr
04-16-2008, 10:07 AM
On these type posts it is recommended to post your mileage. Also, was this a GM dealer?

One thing you can do before a UIM/LIM teardown is check the lifter preload after removing the valve cover. Of course you'll need a new gasket and bolt grommets if you do this. Rocker arm torque is initially 11 ft-lbs first pass plus an additional 90 degrees on the second pass. The extra 90 degrees is normally done with a torque angle meter or gauge. Also, inspect the valvetrain parts that are visible like rocker arms and pushrods.

Sorry...This was a GM Dealer and the car has 92K miles.

Will Help
04-16-2008, 11:06 AM
To oil charge the new lifters: Get a small can of oil that will cover the lifter. Stand the lifter up in the oil and use a brass rod or Phillips screwdriver and press down in the center of the lifter plunger until it bottoms out and then release the pressure. As you release the pressure the lifter will suck in oil. Do this 1 or 2 times till the lifter is primed.

daejuanj
04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I think you need not spend any more money until you pursue your dealership. IF you have any documents stating that they would repair the lifters, than why waste more money? You do have rights. Doesn't matter if you have a warranty or not. If they said they would do something, and they failed to do that, than you need to hold them liable.

BNaylor
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
If what the OP says is true then the dealer committed a Deceptive Trade Practice. However, it is best to exhaust all administrative remedies available to you before going off the deep end and/or seeking legal advice (lawyer).

Start by making the dealer perform and make good on the misrepresentation. If that doesn't work then contact Pontiac Customer Service and see what they say. The dealerships are monitored by GM for customer satisfaction even on a used GM car sold and any work performed by the Service Department.

Customer Assistance Center:
Inside the U.S.: 1-800-762-2737
Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777

Also, if the above fails you can contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and file a complaint in which the dealer should respond to.

pgpgsr
04-17-2008, 05:56 PM
If what the OP says is true then the dealer committed a Deceptive Trade Practice. However, it is best to exhaust all administrative remedies available to you before going off the deep end and/or seeking legal advice (lawyer).

Start by making the dealer perform and make good on the misrepresentation. If that doesn't work then contact Pontiac Customer Service and see what they say. The dealerships are monitored by GM for customer satisfaction even on a used GM car sold and any work performed by the Service Department.

Customer Assistance Center:
Inside the U.S.: 1-800-762-2737
Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777

Also, if the above fails you can contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and file a complaint in which the dealer should respond to.

I did contact Pontiac today and they got in touch with the Dealership. The Dealership stated that they told us that they would do whatever was necessary to quiet the lifter, not replace it. (That is a lie). However, they will cut us a check for $200.00 to help with the repairs elsewhere.

I have a mechanical background and probably can do it myself, but if a garage can do it for the $200.00 that would be better. This engine seems to be a difficult one for me to find repair manuals for.

Add your comment to this topic!