Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 talon tsi no boost after findind heater hose sliced

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 08:12 PM
ok well i drove the car yesterday and boosted 15psi no problem then i went out in my friends car to the club, when i got back to go home i had no boost and a loud wineing noise comming from the turbo. so today i looked around the motor and found a heater hose sliced and car had no coolent but didnt overheat. so i got a new heater hose and now the sound is louder and floored i cant get boost, it just goes up to 0psi,if im lucky i might hit 1psi. vac. is at -20 at idle.

what could it be? i checked the intake side of the turbo and the fins look fine,its not blowing smoke eather. please help thanks.

SilvrEclipse
04-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Check to make sure the wastegate didn't come unhooked.

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
i did. waistgates fine, the wineing ive never herd before, i no its not normal and its hella loud.

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 08:27 PM
im hoping its not the turbine wheel shattered.would there be obvious sighns of that?

SilvrEclipse
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Big boost leak maybe? If the wastegate is fine and not leaking, the turbo is spinning, and you dont have a boost leak the car really has no choice but to build boost.

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
so from -20 vac. to 0psi the turbine is spinning? if so then i'l check for major boost leak but the way that turbos sounding i dont think it would be that.

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
and even if the waistgate was leaking i should get at least some boost id think.

SilvrEclipse
04-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Check to make sure the turbo isin't locked up. You saying that there is a loud whinning come from the turbo, you could have a HUGE boost leak and the turbo may be overspooling. The car would run like shit when you got on it though.

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 09:03 PM
not run like sputtering type shit but no damn power,my friends 91 four door stock accord killed my car. no top end at all(or bottem for that matter).

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 09:06 PM
how do u check if its locked up? cause i took my intake off and spun the compressor wheel and it felt fine.

SilvrEclipse
04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
how do u check if its locked up? cause i took my intake off and spun the compressor wheel and it felt fine.

Then its fine, you were just checking to make sure the shaft spun easily.

91talondsm
04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
i just drove it and its max 2psi with a whine from hell from 0psi to 2psi. i dont no the whine is so loud, il pull the turbo off tomarrow and check the turbine wheel(exhaust side) i hope its not broke,and i'l give a heads up on what happened

SilvrEclipse
04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Check out the turbine wheels to make sure they aren't damaged. Let us know what you find out.

91talondsm
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
pulled off exhaust manifold and looked at turbine wheel(exhaust side) looked fine no oil nothin, spun freely plus shot some air into it and spun fine.so put the man. back on now its smokin white smoke and when i reved it up my friend put his hand about 2 feet from the exhaust and it burnt the crap out of him. we put a stethascope to it and the whining is still coming from right around the o2 housing where the exhaust turbine wheel is. temp guage still at normal level.

i dont no,any ideas now?

gthompson97
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Did you check for shaft play? The wheels may be scraping on the housing sides and making that noise.

91talondsm
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
yah,the shaft play is minamal its the same as it came brand new. its weird when i blew air threw it it spun fine and so i dont get the no boost, exhaust gas should be spooling it up. i dont no maybe its time for a diagnostic test wich sucks i like doing all my work.there was a tiny crack in my exhaust manafold but would that small of a crack cause no boost at all?dont think thats it thow cause we threw a weld on there, but could be still leaking around the weld. and the whine is coming from the o2 side for sure.

at first it was fine on my way to friends house 15psi no prob. then parked it. went to leave, started fine went to drive and no boost so went to friends looked around and the heater hose on driver side to under thermostate was split open about 3 inches. thats the only thing that had to start the problem.put new 1 on and was messed up ever since.

SilvrEclipse
04-15-2008, 04:29 PM
I dont think that the heater hose has anything to do the problems your having. An exhaust leak will only have a slight effect on your spool time. It wont cause you to not boost at all.

91talondsm
04-17-2008, 01:15 PM
i think when the heater hose blew, caused no coolent,witch made my oil cooler not work, got the oil to hot and blew out the turbo.everytime i switch gears a big ass puff of blue smoke comes out now, so the turbos gone (and now its parked). but what i dont get is why im only getting (if im lucky) a half pound of boost.when both wheels worked when i shot air threw it.

time to buy my forth turbo in the last 6 months ive had the car.once a week somthing goes wrong with this car but u no what?i'd never sell it cause i love that damn car.

LandoAWD
04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
You need to figure out what is popping your snails beofre you put any more $$$ into turbo components.

SilvrEclipse
04-17-2008, 06:16 PM
As long as oil was going threw the turbo you didnt blow it up. I dont even run water to my turbo and its fine.

91talondsm
04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
it may not be blown yet but the huge clouds of blue smoke when reving in nutral or switching gears isnt good.time to drive my truck and start taring everthing apart to find the problem.

91talondsm
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
plus its the imfamous e bay turbo. threw cxracing.com

vanilla gorilla
04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
plus its the imfamous e bay turbo. threw cxracing.com

Well theres your problem. What did you expect?

LandoAWD
04-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Well theres your problem. What did you expect?....the compressor housing to melt the JBWeld that holds it together?:icon16:

91talondsm
04-25-2008, 04:39 AM
i dont get it, i dont think its the turbo i pulled it off today and took it apart and it looked fine,cleaned it then put it back together. its only got minimal up and down shaft play and no in and out.put it back on and same thing loud whining sound by o2 housing and 0 boost. the whining sound starts low at 10vac. and gets way loud at 0psi.i swapd the cartrage of the turbo for another one also cause the compressor wheel housing had oil and water in it(choc. milk)grey color.grey smoke out exhaust still also.

91talondsm
04-25-2008, 08:01 PM
well just found a 3in. crack in my compressor housing,i have another 1 but to make sure thats the prob. i jb welded it to see if i get any boost if so swap tomarrow.

SilvrEclipse
04-26-2008, 02:07 PM
JB weld isin't going to hold up on a turbo exhaust housing. It may work for like 5 min.

LandoAWD
04-28-2008, 06:38 AM
"04-18-2008, 07:47 AM"

Called it. Crazy XSPower junk!

91talondsm
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
your right that didnt tell me shit,it blew right out. its the intake side thow compressor housing not turbine.

91talondsm
04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
but u did call it lando,and when u said jb weld i thought what the hell if i boost for 5 sec. il no just to get the housing(till next week when the china make pos turbo blows up lol, but got enough for a real 1 wed.so il be ready to smash on most street cars again.

91talondsm
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
could there be any electrical thing that could cause no boost like MAS or somthing? cause i put new exhaust housing on,new turbine housing,new cartraige(the middle) nothin only thing not new is the damn trbine wheel (exhaust side)and with that theres no cracks in the blades,no oil,not bent. turbine spins freely no in and out shaft play.

the sound is like a drimmel tool motor wheeeeeen,wheeeeeen on the o2 side and i hit 1 psi now lol.

Black99GST
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
are you SURE your wastegate is closing?? nothing electrical... its not possible...

vanilla gorilla
04-30-2008, 10:42 PM
definatly a boost leak. I second the advice to check the wastegate

91talondsm
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
well it wasnt a boost leak, it was the only thing i didnt replace i think the turbine wheel.anyway i bot a used 14b for 50 bucks lil up and down shaft play no in and out but the exhaust housing was all cracked up,had so many cracks going threw the flapper so i swapped it out with the exhaust housing on the 16g.

Im boosting open waitsgate right now (no line connected) and getting 15 to 16psi max is that norm. for a 14b? or is it boost leak time now.

Add your comment to this topic!