Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help-convertible rear glass is loose from vinyl apron, adhesive holds/sealsGONE, do

racoondp
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I want to keep this car.. so please...answers must be contructive ones....I'm seeking educational responses...thank you.
The bonding between the glass and the convertible top apron is gone! I fear not only moisture getting in but more I fear the window will be broken if an unaware person were put the top down AND if it is out of place. It appears to have had attempts to fix with some unknown glue or adhesive and gorilla tape..both have completely given way...I don't have the big $ right now to take to a TOPshop..there must be some way (specific details please)for me to attach/seal without botching it..I will be replacing the sun aged top aprox. 1 yr. from now.....It's a new to me used car-so that "putting the top down" without thinking has happened once,..I got LUCKY it didn't shatter..its the expensive glass with the heat/defrost wire in bedded. In case it makes any difference... the car is a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron GTS Convertible, silver with faded black top...

When I do get it safe to fold down...I need a boot cover for it...anyone having an available one for this model... please let me know.

automan9482
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I had the same thing on my 95 GTC. The welting of the fabric at the bottom of the glass was just slightly puckered when I bought the car, and within 6 months, the glass was hanging by just the top of the window opening. This was a common defect on these cars and on the Sebrings. There is no stiching, etc. holding the glass in place. It is just some kind of heat bonding of the material to the glass.

Unfortunately, the only way to properly fix it, as you've probably guessed, is to replace the entire top; mine was about $700 including a new window with defroster grids and a 7 year warranty.

If you want a temporary fix to prevent water entry, etc., take about 30-45 min, clean the window and the fabric around it thoroughly, dry, and get a roll of really good, sticky tape (duct tape or better). Start on the inside from the top corner, and run tape right down the middle where the fabric overlaps the window up the sides. Then, the kinda b*tchy part: at the bottom edge of the fabric you'll see it is 2 pieces; do the same thing with the tape at the top edge of the inside fabric, and pull it up to stick it to the glass. It won't be perfect because it has stretched. Move to the outside, and do the same thing on the small section of fabric under the glass, overlapping the glass by about an inch and going all the way the down. Tuck the horizontal edges under the vertical fabric. Do the same thing on the inside, and help keep it in place by running an overlapping piece from the top corners down the sides and over the lower tape. This worked well for me, until the top was lowered. You will have to maintain it with new pieces of tape, but it should get you by.

JT1
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Have a '03 Corvette Convertible and did the following:
1.Clean surfaces, unlock the top and place a 2" spacer to relieve stress on window interface.
2.Apply thin coat of 3M Glass Primer [08682 or 08681] to the glass area to be glued -10 min dry time.
3.Apply 3/16" bead of 3M Windo-Weld adhesive 10.5 oz tube [08609] over primer - Press the surface of the top around the window to provide a good contact and extrude excess adhesive.
4.Prop up the window from inside the car to provide good contact between the glass and top - this is important. I also placed some duct tape in a few locations at the window top interface to assist in holding the top to glass. Cover top to protect from rain - leave top unlocked with spacer.
5. I let it cure for 3 days because of my outdoor weather conditions, but the curing conditions [Temp/RH] can be found on the 3M Web Site.
6. Carefully clean excess adhesive with razor blade.
7. Cost about $25. Materials can be ordered online or at a body shop supplies retailer.

myway1955
04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
I just purchased a 94 Lebaron converible. While testing the car prior to purchasing it. The owner told me to lower the top which was in poor condition, do to the fact that the seal that holds the rear glass in position was in bad condition while lowering the top, the glass shattered. I suggest that you hold off until you can replace the roof. The top shop informed us that it is rare that repairing the alignment seal in an old roof, will not hold. The rear glass cost $595 and $500 for a new top. Car looks great and I am looking forward to enjoying the fun of a rag top. I hope this helps.

convertibleparts
05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I want to keep this car.. so please...answers must be contructive ones....I'm seeking educational responses...thank you.
The bonding between the glass and the convertible top apron is gone! I fear not only moisture getting in but more I fear the window will be broken if an unaware person were put the top down AND if it is out of place. It appears to have had attempts to fix with some unknown glue or adhesive and gorilla tape..both have completely given way...I don't have the big $ right now to take to a TOPshop..there must be some way (specific details please)for me to attach/seal without botching it..I will be replacing the sun aged top aprox. 1 yr. from now.....It's a new to me used car-so that "putting the top down" without thinking has happened once,..I got LUCKY it didn't shatter..its the expensive glass with the heat/defrost wire in bedded. In case it makes any difference... the car is a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron GTS Convertible, silver with faded black top...

When I do get it safe to fold down...I need a boot cover for it...anyone having an available one for this model... please let me know.

:wink:
I have several different glass rear windows for the early Lebarons in different colors that i need to sell. Also some tops too. Let me know if you are still in the market and perhaps we can make a deal together.
Thanks Ck

Handyperson
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I used the 4 minute J-B Weld on my Lebaron and it worked. I used fine sandpaper on the the vinyl and window surfaces before applying it. You need to apply it in small sections at a time because 4 minutes goes by fast. I also let down the top a bit and supported the window. I had help in pressing the window and vinyl together. I also used masking tape on the window and top to keep the excess J-Weld from messing things up. I tried the 15 hour J-B Weld but I couldn't find a way to keep the window in place while the J-B Weld cured.

frets14
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I am about to trade a 93 Explorer for a 95 Lebaron convertible with the same rear glass problem. I was wondering about the possibility of using Velcro on the glass and top to hold it in place and make it removable. Does that seem like a plausible alternative?

Linda Pratt
08-20-2012, 03:13 AM
I am about to trade a 93 Explorer for a 95 Lebaron convertible with the same rear glass problem. I was wondering about the possibility of using Velcro on the glass and top to hold it in place and make it removable. Does that seem like a plausible alternative?

I think the velcro would allow the glass to leak.

Add your comment to this topic!