Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I cheated, and I got caught...

Jay!
03-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Playing with paint, I've learned a lesson. :o

I was working on a Merc 500SL, and I decided to gett a little creative with the paint. I had TS14 Black and TS19 Metallic Blue on hand, so I was going to see what I could get out of them...

Primer... check. No problems.
Black coats... a wee bit rough, so I sanded it back w/ 1800 grit. I wanted the black layer as smooth as possible before adding the blue. In smoothing it out, though, I took off too much paint on a few high edges.

'No big deal,' I thought. I've used a permanent marker on black before to re-tough the high spots with great success. Done and done.

Blue coats... all goes on light and smooth as silk. Surface is sweet, and the color is sharp and even. :cool:

Clear coats... 3 nice and even coats. Easy, right? I left it to cure 2 weeks' worth.... And when I got it back out, all the permanent inked areas are a totally different color than the rest. :eek: :(

None of this discoloration was there after the blue coats. Must have been a reaction w/ the clear coats...

Oh, well... Lesson learned. :o

themodelkid
03-02-2003, 05:56 PM
tisk, tisk, lol

daggerlee
03-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by jay@af

'No big deal,' I thought. I've used a permanent marker on black before to re-tough the high spots with great success.

Spray paint sprayed into a cup would have made a much better marker. Sorry to hear about it. :( :( I feel you can probably save the paint job yet - just sand off those discolored spots, apply black touchup paint, then spray metallic blue through an airbrush over the black, then clearcoat again. Then again, I haven't seen how bad the damage is. On another note, how'd it compare to MC Blue?

Jay!
03-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
On another note, how'd it compare to MC Blue? Nowhere close, but I started this before I was looking...

bends
03-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear that, will be you completely stipping the paint and doing it over?

fullbloodchop01
03-02-2003, 07:13 PM
sorry to hear about that jay:( hope it all turns out ok

primera man
03-03-2003, 12:12 AM
*PMan shakes head and leaves thread* :bloated: :bloated:

J/K.....Sorry to hear the newz dude

Purpura Delujo
03-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Bad luck that it happened on a Benz. Will you show us pictures of this one Jay?

joecwlaw
03-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Lowryda
Bad luck that it happened on a Benz. Will you show us pictures of this one Jay?

he still doesn't have a digital cam, right jay? :o :o :o

pics pls. :finger:

Add your comment to this topic!