2001 Isuzu Trooper O2 Sensor and Plugs

Another_Drummer
04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, I'm kind of confused here....

My check engine light is on...need to replace O2 sensors. Went to an automotive store and they priced some sensors for me..not too bad. The Isuzu shop priced them at $188 EACH, and the guy said it takes 6 O2 SENSORS??? Anyone know where these 6 sensors are???

Also, I am changing the plugs since I got a misfire code (cant remember the #)...and I was told that I can only use Denso spark plugs for the Isuzu Trooper. Anyone know much about what this car "HAS" to use, or is it a sales pitch?

Any help will help.

Thanks.

04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Not sure where you got info about 6 O2 sensors. I have 2001 Trooper, it has 4.

Another_Drummer
04-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Does anyone have a diagram of the sensor locations? If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 on the exhaust, and the other two are...?

The parts representative at the Isuzu dealership told me they have 6, so I'm a bit confused.

Does anyone know if there will be a performance/compatibility issue if I don't use genuine Isuzu O2 sensors? I can cough up paying $15 per Denso spark plug. I can't, however, cough up $188 for O2 sensors....

Any help would be great help...

04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
There are only 4 O2 sensors. email to magicmechanic.com
He will set you right.
You do not need to buy from Isuzu dealer.

Another_Drummer
04-16-2008, 08:11 AM
This is exactly why I became a member of this forum!

Thanks guys. I'm going to do just that! :popcorn:

fourwd1
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Also, you can get the Denso plugs for $8 from sparkplugs.com

Another_Drummer
04-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, I emailed Magicmechanic and have heard nothing back about this O2 sensor issue I'm having.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

trooperbc
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
i wonder if the dealership was saying there are 6 plugs rather than O2 sensors (?)
anyway, here's the parts illustration from the isuzu usa online parts site that is still online www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com) . as you can see, there are 4 and shows where. the dealer o2 sensor prices are a bit much. you can get a quality replacement, for example, bosch, for much less. just be sure you get the correct one specifically for your application so that it comes with the correct connector.

//bc

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/images/Trooper%2098-02/Print/0-60d.gif

trooperbc
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
by the way, fyi, the 2 o2 sensors that are *before* the catalytic converter are the ones that supply info to the computer to adjust the driveability settings. the 2 o2 sensors that come *after* the catalytic converter are there to check on the catalytic converter, i.e. the computer compares the before cat values with the after-cat values and decides whether the cat is doing its job.

//bc

Another_Drummer
04-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks once again trooperbc!

Do you know if it has to be genuine Isuzu O2 sensors? Or will another brand suffice?

trooperbc
04-22-2008, 07:44 PM
i wonder if the dealership was saying there are 6 plugs rather than O2 sensors (?)
anyway, here's the parts illustration from the isuzu usa online parts site that is still online www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com) . as you can see, there are 4 and shows where. the dealer o2 sensor prices are a bit much. you can get a quality replacement, for example, bosch, for much less. just be sure you get the correct one specifically for your application so that it comes with the correct connector.

//bc

:cwm27:

//bc

Another_Drummer
04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Perfect!!! Thank you! For some reason, I didn't see that diagram when I asked the genuine parts question.

I'm going to give it a shot, and make sure that I get the right ones for the right place.

I'll let you know how it goes!!

You're a trooper. (get it? yeah, I know...dumb)

Add your comment to this topic!