Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 PA tire pressure warning

olredhead
04-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I have the "check tire pressure" warning coming on every time I start the car.Have repeatedly checked pressures and used different buttons to reset but it comes back each time I restart the car. All started when I parked on a slanted drive at of all places my taxman's office. Could I have a sensor stuck and where would it be. Thanks, not a big problem but it's drivin me nutty.

TopherS
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't have my owner's manual handy, but there is a procedure to reset the tire monitor. If you don't have yours, I can get back to you with that procedure. But, in addition to resetting the monitor, you have to drive around for about 15-20 minutes afterward, without shutting off the car, to recalibrate the monitor. The first few times I reset my monitor, I just did it in the driveway, or at the corner store where I put air, and drove straight home... and it would come right back on the next time I drove the car. So be sure to reset it when you are getting ready to drive around for a little while. If it still keeps coming back on and you're sure the tires are all the same pressure, then it would look more like a problem with a sensor or the system.

Hope this helps.:cheers:

olredhead
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I would be very grateful for the instructions for the procedure. My owners manual just tells me to push any button but like yours the warning comes back on the next time I start the car. Twenty minutes run time is no problem as I drive the old PA 40 miles to work every day. Do all tires have to be the same pressure ? I have run the fronts higher for years and have never had this problem before.

TopherS
04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
The monitor uses your ABS monitor to detect a difference in how fast a wheel is spinning. If you have less air, the wheel will turn faster. If one or more of your tires is/are turning faster than the others, then your monitor will alert you that you may have a low tire(s).

I don't think that all the tires have to be at the same pressure. I believe the point of calibrating is that you reset it at what your tires are set at at the moment (e.g. fronts higher than rears), it calibrates itself and from then on, if there is a variance, then you would be alerted by the monitor. However, it is possible that if you have your front tires significantly higher than the rears, it may think your rear tires are low and alert you.

I would try to keep them somewhat close, but I don't think it is crucial to have them equal. I suggested that they be equal for diagnostic purposes. I would try to reset/calibrate with what you have, first. If you still get the warning, make all tires at equal pressure and be sure they don't have a leak...then try again. If you still get the warning, then you'll want to get the system checked out.

Today, I am going home for lunch. I'll get the directions on how to reset the system and get back to you this afternoon.

TopherS
04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Here's the instructions from my owner's manual...

To reset (calibrate) the system:

1. Turn the ignition switch to RUN

2. Press the GAGE INFO button until TIRE PRESSURE appears on the display.

3. Press and hold the RESET button for about five seconds. After five seconds, the display will show TIRE PRESSURE RESET. ... After you release the RESET button, TIRE PRESSURE NORMAL will appear on the display.

Well, I found out that I lied about the amount of calibration time needed. The owner's manual says that it can take 45-90 minutes, depending on driving habits.

Good luck with this.

olredhead
04-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks TopherS, have copied your instructions and will give them a try on the drive home this evening, should be 45 mins or so. Will try first with the pressures as I have them now and if that dosen't work will reset all tires to the same pressure and try, again thanks for the input don't know why my owners manual dosen't have this procedure.

Add your comment to this topic!